Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Shutter Caddy

I finally tried my hand at making my own chalk paint!
There are recipes available online using calcium carbonate or plaster of paris. I tried the one using calcium carbonate.
I used latex paint and mixed my "ingredients" in an empty whipped topping container. 

So, for my first project with homemade chalk paint...

My shutter started off looking like this...

I gave it a coat of the chalk paint I mixed up...

When the first coat of paint was dry, I used acrylic paint in another shade of blue and randomly painted some on the shutter...

Once that was dry, I added another coat of the chalk paint. While the paint was still wet, I used a hotel room key card and scraped over the paint to give it a distressed look.

I covered the shutter with clear wax and then added a little dark wax in some places to "dirty" it up a little.





I added 3 hooks across the bottom of the shutter.
I added a metal basket (I think it was actually a planter) to the center of the shutter.
The basket can be used to hold washcloths, lotions, etc.


 This would be a great caddy to have in a bathroom or out by the pool!

Pin It


Linking To: 
Savvy Southern Style, Boogieboard Cottage,Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just A Housewife, Coastal Charm,To Sew With Love, Under The Table & Dreaming,Cherished Treasures,The Graphics Fairy,Polly Want A Crafter,Funky Junk Interiors,Addicted 2 Decorating,Domestically Speaking,Tales of a Trophy Wife,DIY Showoff, Skip To My Lou,Mommy By Day... Crafter By Night,Miss Mustard Seed,All Things Heart and Home,The Shabby Nest,Someday Crafts,Sew Much Ado,Lil' Luna,Sugar and Dots,House of Hepworths,Yesterday on Tuesday,Thrifty Decorating,Remodelaholic,Fingerprints on the Fridge,Lovely Crafty Home,Ladybird LN Craft Envy,Dittle Dattle,Craft-O-Maniac,Keeping It Simple,Mad In Crafts,Making The World Cuter,Sisters of the Wild West,Sarahndipities,Today's Creative Blog,Tip Junkie,Sassy Sites,The Thrifty Home,seven thirty three,Sisters Stuff,Fabric Bows and More,Sew Woodsy,Tea Rose Home,Ginger Snap Crafts,The Shabby Creek Cottage,What Allie's Making Now,Thrifty 101,Momnivore's Dilemma,It's Sew Stinkin Cute,Beyond The Picket Fence,Finding Fabulous,Trendy Treehouse,A Little Knick Knack,Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,Simply Sweet Home, Creation Corner,Truly Lovely with the Laney Sisters,Mommaskindacrafty,Simply Designing,Joyful Stamper,Tatertots and Jello,Along For The Ride,Young and Crafty,While He Was Napping,A Vision To Remember,Stay At Home Nation,LambAround,Nifty Thrifty Things,Petite Hermine,A Bowl Full Of Lemons,The Foley Fam,Type A,Reasons To Skip The Housework,DIY Club Inc,Primitive and Proper,Creations by Kara,Elle Belle CreativeTales from Bloggeritaville,Delightful Order,Gluesticks,Somewhat Simple,Frugalicious Me,All Things Fee,Cherished Bliss,Homework,Me and My Boys,Homemaker on a Dime,Primp,Craft Junkie Too,Home Savvy,Lines Across My Face,Bear Rabbit Bear,The Kurtz Corner,Chef In Training,The Sasse Life,Project Queen,Crafty Scrappy Happy,Raising 4 Princesses,DIY Home Sweet Home,Passionately Artistic,Redoux,Pocket Full Of Pink,Kammy's Korner,I Can't Stop Crafting,Sassafras Salvation,The Artsy Girl Connection,The Shady Porch,Rae Gun Ramblings,Six Sisters Stuff,Sew Crafty Tuesday,Adventures In Dinner,Knick Of Time,Five Days 5 Ways,Some Good Stuff,Seven Alive,Ivy and Elephants,Creating Home,Alderberry Hill,
The Cottage MarketFine Craft Guild, I should be mopping the floor, CRAFT.,  Happy Hour Projects, Natural Mothers Network, Cowgirl Up, It's A Cinch,  Country Momma Cooks, Goings On In TexasAt Home With K Mushki Loves, Grateful Belly, Etcetorize, Bowdabra, Dotted Line Crafts, Made In A Day, Southern Lovely,Fishtail Cottage, Have a Daily Cup Of Mrs. Olson,Blissful Bucket List,

57 comments:

  1. Too cute! I'll have to keep my eye open for a shutter I can repurpose. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out fantastic and i love the basket you added!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a great post for me...we don't have Annie Sloan for miles and miles and miles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! And the color it turned out is just gorgeous! Perfectly chic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soooo adorable! Hopped over from Crafty Sasse Wednesday and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit and follow me back. Have a great night. Judy :) http://www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks great! I've tried my hand at home made chalk paint too and liked the results! I used plaster of paris for mine. I really love the hooks and basket you added... I could also see a starfish or picture hanging from the top portion!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I really love the distressed look
    Very handy, and creative!
    Inspiring! :)
    Found you via the Pin Inspiration Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a clever idea!! LOVE how it turned out! I've been really wanting to try making my own chalk paint and it looks like it would be worth it! I'd love for you to stop by and share this at my new link party! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-2/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Featuring you right away on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iGottaCreate
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw this on Shabby Creek, adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything using a shutter and your's is so cute!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great piece you created. It could be used for so many things. I like your paint job too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to meet you!
    I love your whimsical watercolors!
    I haven't tried the chalkpaint yet, but I can't wait to try it.
    I've subscribed to your blog!
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! Thanks for sharing the details of how you made it look so great. I found a bunch of shutters at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and am gathering ideas for them. I like the hooks and basket you added.
    Blessings,
    Carrie
    http://fiveseventeenrepurposing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a soft spot for distressed shutters! I just picked one up at my favorite antique store! Yours turned out FAB. I love how versatile you made yours!! Would love if you came and shared at my first party!

    http://osiemoats.blogspot.com/2012/07/thursday-linky-party-1.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing over at Craft Junkie Too this week-end. I have it featured on my facebook fan page --
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Craft-Junkie-Too/162946417058976 --
    I hope you can check it out and grab the featured me button off of my blog - if you'd like. :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been reading about the DIY chalk paints but had yet to see the results...this is gorgeous and I'm itching to try it myself. Love your application of the hooks and basket!

    ReplyDelete
  18. super cute, love it!!! such a great idea, and I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this...very cute and clever :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yet another terrific use a shutters - love your adding the metal basket.
    JoAnn
    PS I'm have my first 100 followers giveaway!
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out great, and so useful! I love the basket/planter. This would be terrific in my bathroom. The shutter adds such nice interest.

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your shutter turned out so cute and I love how you added the basket and hooks. I just painted a table using Latex and Plaster of Paris. Still need to wax it. The chalk paint was great and I loved using it. I like how you mixed it up a bit to give it a vintage look. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have all the ingredients to make the chalkpaint, but haven't tried it yet. Glad to know it turned out well for you. Love your shutter idea!
    can't wait to try my own paint now! Best, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it great idea pinning this for sure thank u

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job, so vintage and beautiful:-))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it! So creative! Following from the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So clever! Thanks for sharing your great idea. It gave me an idea of how I can make a kitchen organizer that I have been wanting to create.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea, I was thinking it might be nice outside too putting a plant in the iron part.

    I have used some old French shutters for a headboard, if you get a chance to pop over to my blog, you will see the post on my side bar "French style cottage bedroom makeover", I think you will enjoy it. I didn't distress the shutters as they are actually old French ones but they made a boxy room with no character look amazing.

    I am here from I should be Mopping up Mondays.

    Thank you for sharing, will add myself as linky follower and google.

    Lee ☺

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Such a great idea, and it your paint turned out really well. I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The metal planter is nice. and gives good look to your shutter.

    - Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is great! Thanks for the instructions on how you use your chalk paint.. I am always looking for tips on how to paint with it better!

    -Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is amazing! I love it. I need to put something in my downstairs half bath and this would be perfect! I'd love for you to link this up to my Marvelous Mondays party. http://www.jamscorner.com/2012/07/marvelous-mondays-link-party-4.html

    Newest follower via GFC. I'd love for you to check out my cooking/DIY blog and follow back. :)

    Julie
    www.jamscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Old shutters are the best! I have transformed quite a few myself! Love these~

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! Such a great idea.

    New follower too.. hope you can stop by The Thriftiness Miss sometime. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love shutters and your use is great! I have enjoyed redoing them myself! First time here, newest linky follower, hope to see you stop by for a visit

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a wonderful new way to use a shutter, and homemade chalk paint--I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely LOVE everything about this!! I really want to try making my own chalk paint. I think you are so clever for using it as a bathroom caddy! I will be featuring this at our party Thursday morning. Thanks so much for linking up with us at Link It Up Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is beautiful! I love shutters. I also love the basket and hooks. I really want to try homemade chalkpaint I'd love for you to share this at my link party. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/07/terrific-tuesdays-25_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is great and the way you painted it def. added the prefect look of a worn old shutter! Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great Shutters! I am featuring you tomorrow! Hope to see you at tomorrows linky!
    Kim@madeinday

    ReplyDelete
  41. So what was the ratio of calcium carbonate to paint that you used to make the mixture?

    ReplyDelete
  42. So, so cute!! Thank you for sharing with me! Featuring today at my party, opens at 5 EST. -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  43. Hi Artsy VaVa!
    I'm visiting from Ginger Snap Crafts. I love altered shutters, and yours is beautiful. I really like your addition of the metal basket. That is ingenious. I love combining fun and function to my altered artwork. If you would like to see my altered shutter, I hope you will visit me at
    http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-shutter-to-think-of-possibilities.html

    Now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  44. totally love this idea!!! Fortunately I have a stash of old shutters, yay!
    I'll be featuring you this week @ Inspire Me Fridays, thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this! Great vision. I have two bi-fold doors in my garage and didn't know what I was going to do with them... think I'll cut them down and try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great technique! Such a creative idea too. The result is gorgeous! Love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I seriously am LOVING this. now, where od I find a shutter to use this technique to? ^^)

    By the way, we will be featuring this awesome project!

    have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is really a great idea! Smarty pants! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looks wonderful!

    Thank you for linking it up at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

    Hope to see you again later today with something else fabulous!!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  50. Very cute. Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday! You've been featured! We would love to have you link up any other projects you have this week and don't forget to grab an "I was featured" button! :)

    Michelle
    www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love it! I could also see it used in the kitchen - slots for mail, hooks for keys, basket for hats and sunglasses!

    Stopping by from Strut Your Stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...