Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Pew Redo


I recently had the opportunity to buy church pews from a wedding venue. I bought two thinking I might use them both at the table on my screen porch. Pews can be a little low for a table so I decided I just wanted one for inside my house. The problem is that they were both 12 feet long! That's awesome, but I didn't have a spot for a 12 foot pew! So, my son, who gets suckered into helping me with lots of projects, cut one of the pews in half...
Then he reattached the end...
There were a couple of damaged places that I filled in with Swamp Mud. I let it dry, then sanded it smooth.

I painted the pew with the color Drop Cloth from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

My daughter made a cushion for the pew. Notice how I manage to get my kids to do things for me? I must have done something right.
The pew was a little too clean for my taste, so I added a little Grunge Glaze. Now it's perfect!

Now let's talk about that ironing board. It was my mother's first ironing board when she and my father married in 1934. It has been perfect as a sofa table!


I have a large open floor plan, so I placed the pew on the other side of the ironing board/sofa table so it faces my table and kitchen. It's perfect for when people gather at the table and we need more seating.


Now I'm in the process of covering my chairs with the reverse side of the fabric.


And, don't worry, the part that was cut away from the pew won't go to waste. I already have a plan for it!




Linking To:
Coastal Charm,  Someday CraftsGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings,  Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveMade In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru LifeBloom Designs,French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsDIY-Crush, Charm Bracelet Diva, Our Hopeful Home, The Painted Hinge, Savvy Southern Style


27 comments:

  1. I have always wanted a church pew in my home. You really scored with this one! I have secretly admired the Dixie Belle color Drop Cloth and it looks awesome here. Your kids are the best! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great transformation on that pew. It looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fantastic job! And you've reminded me how great Dixie Belle products are. I haven't seen the mud, but it worked so well on your project, I'm going there to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! How unique! What a great way to add more seating and then you also have a conversation piece! Great job and love the fabric! Glad I found your site through the linky party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so wonderful. It's so great your kids are talented and willing to help. Your mothers ironing board just must make you smile every time you see it. It works well with the pew. I just put a pew in dining room
    http://thriftytonifty.com/part-2-thrifty-decorated-new-house/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an old pew that needs some TLC I hadn't planned to paint it, but I love the look of yours!
    thanks for sharing at Talk of the Town.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pew turned out darling! Love the fabric too. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted a church pew but the ones I've seen are sooo huge. Love what you did with yours. Such a fabulous makeover. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Your son and daughter are treasures! The cushion fabric is very attractive, and I really like that you're covering your chair seats in the reverse side fabric. And, that 1934 ironic board . . . wow!
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your great project at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love everything about this makeover...and the fabric is fabulous. What a neat ironing board. I love using family treasures. You're lucky to have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another brilliant transformation! Featuring when my party opens tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pew looks great, unfortunately I dont have space for one, maybe some day. Love the ironing board, havent seen a wooden one for years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had the same idea you did about the ironing board very nice one. I love the pew it turned out very nice and it was nice of your children to help.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully done!! I would like to know where to purchase the fabric..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I found the fabric at JoAnn Fabrics.

      Delete
  23. GREAT IDEA FOR THE PEW AND IRONING BOARD. JUST ONE ??. DO YOU HAVE CATS OR DOGS? i CAN JUST SEE ONE OF MY CATS MAKING A FLYING LEAP ONTO IT AND IT GOES SLIDING ACROSS THE FLOOR.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nicely done! You gave me an idea for my pew bench, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What saw did your son use and how did he manage to cut it so nicely? We also have a 12 foot long pew and I suggested that my husband do exactly that. So far, ir has not been shortened, it is too large for the foyer and the bookcase is in front of the door! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sometimes these old pews can be found and had for nearly nothing. It's not our taste but it's a good use for something old and in the right place look very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...