Thursday, July 26, 2012

Homemade Chalk Paint

I have been getting a lot of questions about the recipe I used for the homemade chalk paint that I recently used on the shutter. Most of the questions, however have come from Anonymous and/or no-reply commentors, so I haven't been able to reply to their questions.
So, here are the proportions I used...

2/3 latex paint to
1/3 Calcium Carbonate
 I got the calcium carbonate at a health food store.
If the paint seems too thick and chalky, add a little water. As the paint sits, it gets thicker so you may need to add more water from time to time.
I have also bought some of the sample sizes of Valspar paint at Lowe's. To that size, I add about 2 tablespoons of the calcium carbonate. You have to play around with it until it "feels" right. I love the sample sizes...they will mix up any color you want!

I hope this answers any questions you have. If not, feel free to contact me. Please turn off the no-reply so that I can respond. It is frustrating to want to reply to a comment and have no way of doing so!
I'd love to hear how your projects turn out using homemade chalk paint!!!


4 comments:

  1. You are the lucky WINNER of that darling solar fountain over at my place!!!! Please e-mail me your full name and address, so I can pass it on to the company.

    Blessings,
    Linda
    coastal.charm@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try chalk paint, thanks for the info! Congrats on winning the solar fountain at Coastal Charm. I am now following you! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your shutter project! Thanks for sharing your recipe for the chalk paint. I will be pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who has tried making chalk paint, and she says hers turned out 'gritty'. Is this recipe pretty much grit free?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...