Friday, February 3, 2023

Mixed Media For Valentines Or Anytime

 What do you think of when you think of Valentine's Day? For me, it's flowers & candy. This mixed media project includes flowers, but not candy... I'm on a diet! And, the colors make it perfect to keep displayed year round.


I started by painting a 10" x 7" wooden heart with the color Fluff from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

I cut a piece of decoupage tissue paper from Re*design With Prima, called Zoey, to fit across the top of the heart. I applied the tissue paper to the heart using Dixie Belle's Clear Coat, but you could use ModPodge.


I used a 120 grit sandpaper to remove the excess paper. I placed the sandpaper at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the heart & used a downward motion to sand off the paper.


I stenciled a design on the rest of the heart using the color, Gravel Road. I like to use a makeup wedge to stencil. I off loaded most of the paint to prevent the paint from bleeding under the stencil. I could've added a second coat to get good coverage, but I wanted more of an irregular, worn finish.


I added two greenery stems, from Prima, by putting a little glue at the base of the stems. 


I placed a floral cardboard sticker at the top of the greenery. I didn't trust that the sticky back would hold, so I added some glue.

I glued two flowers onto the heart, letting them come off the edge of the heart.

I added a pretty butterfly cardboard sticker to the flowers.


I could've stopped there and it would've been fine, but let's keep going!

I added a second butterfly & another cardboard sticker that says, "Bee-you-tiful" to complete the Valentine.




You can use any colors for this project, so if you're not a fan of red & pink in your decor, you can pick colors that work for you.


Just about anything goes at my house. Can you tell I like color?



Linking To:

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, I love the colourful flowers, plus it's calorie free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this heart! I am also intrigued by the painting above the heart (pastels? melted crayon?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. My daughter did the art above the heart when she was11 (she's 29 now) & she used pastels. I love all the colors.

      Delete
  3. Love how you mixed patterns and mediums! So pretty. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...