Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Happy Harvest Faux Chalkboard


If you've followed my blog for awhile, then you may know that I write a monthly DIY article for a local magazine called FAYETTE WOMAN. This was my project for the September issue...


A common trend in home décor is chalkboard signs. This faux chalkboard is created using paint, while giving you the look of chalk. The permanency of the paint allows the sign to be used year after year. And, if using a framed thrift store painting, you won’t spend a lot of money.

Supplies:
Framed Painting
Acrylic Paint in Black & White
Paintbrushes
White Paint Pen (optional)
Printer & Printer Paper
Chalk
Pencil
Rag


Cover the painting with 2 coats of black acrylic paint.



Paint the frame with white acrylic paint.



Print out the words and pumpkins for the sign. 


Using the side of a piece of chalk, rub the back of the paper.



Place the paper on the “faux” chalkboard and trace over the letters and design with a pencil. This will transfer them onto the chalkboard.



Once the transfer is complete, go over it with white acrylic paint or a white paint pen.



Allow the white paint to dry, and rub over the chalkboard with the side of a piece of chalk. 


Wipe over the surface with a rag to maintain the look of a chalkboard.




This project is easy and inexpensive enough that you just may want to make one for every season!




Pin It

Linking To:
Coastal Charm,  Someday Crafts, Ginger Snap Crafts,  Creations By Kara,  Rae Gun Ramblings,  Seven Thirty Three,  The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven Alive, Made In A Day, Chic On a Shoestring,  Simply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest,  Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, The Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House,   Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, Mad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A Housewife,  Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie,  Homework,  I Gotta Create,  Thrifty 101,  Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My Lou, The Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill Ranch, Flutter Buster, Nap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley Fam, Our Home Away From Home,  Remodelaholic, Flamingo Toes,  VMG206,  Finding Silver Pennies, A Stroll Thru Life, Bloom Designs,French Country Cottage, The Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou Girls, DIY-Crush, Charm Bracelet Diva,


4 comments:

  1. Very cute idea Virginia! Love the design you used. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun chalkboard idea Virginia. I love using artwork for chalkboards, but never thought about doing more permanent seasonal chalkboards.
    Thanks for sharing at Talk of the Town!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Virginia! I can't wait to make my own. It sure looks like a real chalkboard but I love that it is permanent.

    xo Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is what I'm talking about! I don't know that I've seen a more straightforward how-to on this. It looks awesome and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the idea! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...