Friday, December 8, 2017

DIY "Rust"ic Ornaments

It's beginning to look a lot like a "rust"ic Christmas! 
Creating rust is easy with the Patina Collection from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.
I started with a plain wooden ornament. It had a red ribbon which I removed.
 I gave the ornament a coat of Dixie Belle Paint. I used Barn Red, but the color doesn't matter because in the end it won't show. The patina needs something to grab onto, so that's why you can't skip this step.
 To create rust, I used the Iron Patina Paint. It has metal in it which can settle, so I gave it a good shake then painted one coat of the iron paint onto the ornament.
 I let the first coat of the Iron paint dry completely. Then I painted a second coat of the Iron Patina Paint.
 While the second coat was still wet, I sprayed it with the Green Patina Spray. 

 The spray reacts with the iron to create rust. The process begins to happen quickly, but can take up to 6 hours to complete.
 Look at that beautiful rust!
 I added a sweet little wooden deer to the ornament using E6000. Keeping with the rustic theme, I added jute to hang the ornament.
 You could stop there, but I wanted the deer to blend more with the color of the rust. So, I added Bronze Gilding Wax.
 You can use a brush, but I prefer to apply it with my finger.



 Here's a look at the progression...
 Warning: If you use this product, you will want to rust everything!!!



Linking To:
Coastal CharmGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun RamblingsMade In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk InteriorsDIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru Life, French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsOur Hopeful Home, The Painted Hinge, Savvy Southern Style, Tattertots & Jello, Yesterday On Tuesday, Rachel Teodoro


9 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness, that is some magical stuff! I'm going to have to get myself some of it. These turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your ornament and Dixie Belle Paint Company products!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! I've never seen this product... how great! Thanks for sharing it. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely, I'll be pinning this for sure. I've not come across Patina Paint before, I must see if it's available in the UK. Sue via Make it Pretty Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are FABULOUS! You would never guess they aren't metal. Featuring when my party opens up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great and fun ornament to make. Love the rust!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your ornament and definitely will try this technique. Thank you for sharing. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...