Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fall Solar Lights

From the time I started blogging, one of the easiest projects I have shared has remained one of the most viewed posts. I first published my Upcycled Pickle & Olive Jars back in 2012...



So, when Southern Holiday Life asked me a year ago to contribute a DIY project for their magazine, I decided to incorporate a new version of my popular jars. 
With tomorrow being the first day of Fall, I thought it was the perfect time to share my Fall Solar Lights.


Here's what you'll need:
Clean Jars
ModPodge
Patterned Paper Napkins
Paintbrush
Scissors
E6000 Glue
Jute
Solar Lights
Paint

Cut the napkin to fit around the jar where it will overlap slightly.

Napkins are typically 3 or 4 ply. Separate the layers so that you are left with only the layer with the pattern. If you don't separate the layers, the napkin won't adhere well to the jar.

Add a coat of ModPodge (or other decoupage medium) to the jar. Then add the napkin...

Add another coat of ModPodge over the napkin...

Set aside to dry.

Add E6000 to the rim of the jar and wrap with jute.


You could stop here and use them as they are, or add a candle...


Or you can take it a step further!

Remove the top of an inexpensive solar light...

Paint the light being careful not to cover the solar panel...

You could glue the light onto the jar, but I didn't. I just set it on top. This way I can easily change it. 





My jars have been on my back porch for a year now and are still working!
Pin It

Linking To:
Coastal Charm,  Someday CraftsGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings,  Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveMade In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru LifeBloom Designs,French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsDIY-Crush, Charm Bracelet Diva,


9 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the fall pattern of the napkin. I love making things out of jars and tin cans. I bought some napkins recently for a decoupage project but haven't try them yet. Seeing your pretty solar lights makes me want to try it out on a jar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to make something pretty out of old jars, been few times have gone out to glass recycle bin to dig a few jars out.
    Can remember seeing your jars from 2012 about time I discovered blogs, thought I'd love to make some similar to yours. Still love yours better than ones I made.
    Your current Fall jars have such a pretty pattern on napkins you used. Where do you buy the lights? Had no idea could buy solar lights like that. Might be nice gifts for people, will have to find some pretty patterned napkins for Holidays.
    Enjoy rest of week and weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning. I love how it resembles stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this clever! I love napkins you used too. I'd like these for indoors with battery operated candles. Pinning to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful! Love the paper you used. Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever! Yet another way to use jars that I would not have thought of myself! So pretty for fall. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/10/sunday-showcase-make-pretty-monday-7-2.html Happy Fall! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...