Monday, January 9, 2023

Oh Deer, A Chair Makeover

 I was just driving down the road minding my own business when I came upon a yard sale. I vowed to keep going, but I saw this chair...


I thought it would be perfect for practicing upholstery. And, the price was right!
I had the best of intentions, but when the fabric is in good shape, I often opt to paint the upholstery rather than redo it. In this case the fabric on the back of the chair was just faded. And it didn't quite go with the rustic look of the wood with its faux knots & carving to resemble branches.

I painted the back of the chair with the color, Sawmill Gravy, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company

I had a plan to add a woodsy style transfer to the back to give the chair a rustic feel & enhance the "branches" rather than compete with them. Sawmill Gravy served as a base for the transfer & would keep the fabric pattern from showing through.


I thought I was going to have to upholster the seat because there was a small tear. But, when I removed the trim & fabric, there was another fabric that was in good shape. So, I painted it with the color Evergreen, also from Dixie Belle.

Keep in mind, that if you paint fabric with a patterned texture, the texture will show through your paint. In this case, the pattern shows, but I like it.

I added new trim using Loctite Flexible Adhesive for fabric.


For the back of the chair, I chose the Fauna transfer from Re*design With Prima.

Before applying the transfer, I covered the trim with painters tape to prevent the transfer from sticking to it.


Because the padded back of the chair was flexible & you have to rub hard to make the transfer stick, the design cracked. The cracking was perfect! It made the back of the chair look & feel like leather.



Once finished, I sealed the chair with Dixie Belle's Best Dang Wax in clear.



This was, yet again, another piece I intended to sell but couldn't part with (even though I have nowhere to put it)!


For more on painting upholstery, go HERE.

5 comments:

  1. I thougjht putting it next to the Christmas tree was the perfect place for it! The deer transfer just goes so well with the tree-branch look of the chair frame. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting upholstery is still on my bucket list. You inspire, me! Love that leather look! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chair makeover looks amazing! I'm featuring you tonight at the #HomeMattersParty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The upcycle chair turned out so well, I love the deer transfer, very nice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...