Thursday, December 14, 2023

Felt Snowman DIY

 On a trip to Scotland last May, I met wool felting artist, Karen Price. I was fascinated with her work & she took the time to show me the process of how she creates her art. You can view her work HERE.

I was so excited to give it a try, that I ordered a kit & it was waiting on me when I got back home. Here is the finished project. It's not perfect, but for my first piece, it was fun & I don't hate it.


In the Fall, I made lots of felted acorns...


Recently I was in a shop that had some cute felt snowman ornaments & I knew I had all the supplies at home to try and make a similar one. So, I grabbed a styrofoam ball, white wool roving, & felting needles.

I pulled off a piece of the wool roving and then pulled the fibers apart so they weren't so tight together.

I wrapped the wool around the styrofoam ball & used the tool that holds 3 needles to start pushing the wool into the ball.

Here you can see where the right side of the ball is covered & the left side isn't yet covered.

I continued until the entire ball was covered with the wool.

Once the ball was covered in white wool, I grabbed some red roving, pulled off a section & tied a knot in the middle. The knot gives me a base to start making the ear muffs.

I switched to the tool that only holds one needle & began wrapping the wool around the knot & poking it with the needle. These leather finger covers are great. If you poke yourself with the needle it hurts! I learned the hard way.

I continued wrapping the red wool & poking it with the needle until I had a ball the size I wanted to make ear muffs. I made 2 of these.


I took a little black wool & used the single needle to press it into the white ball to make the eyes.


I used wired holiday tinsel ribbon to make the strap of the ear muffs.

I used a little more black wool to form the mouth.

I used tacky glue to add the muffs.

For the nose, I dipped a toothpick in orange acrylic paint, let it dry, then broke it so I had an inch long piece. Then I pushed it into the styrofoam.


I used floral wire to make a hook to hang my snowman ornament.

This was so much fun to make! I'm still no expert, but I'm going to keep trying my hand at wool arts.



Linking To:

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget to join us over at the Creatively Crafty Linky Party every Wednesday through Sunday
    https://creativelybeth.com/creative-crafts-linky-party/
    Followed and Pinned!
    Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that toothpick nose! We will be featuring you starting Wednesday at the Creatively Crafty Linky Party! Pinned and shared!
    Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading your delightful post on the DIY felt snowman, and I must say, your creativity is truly inspiring! The step-by-step guide and the adorable result make it seem like a fun and achievable project.
    can a walmart gift card be used for gas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, what an absolute cutie your felt snowman is! Your use of wool is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love for you to come link up at my party! - Laura https://meandmyinklings.com/project-creative-friends-linky-party-4-new-years-eve-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your DIY felt snowman project is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to try making one myself; your step-by-step instructions make it seem so doable.
    coupon club

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...