Monday, September 19, 2011

The Witch Is In!

I recently came across a post at Mamie Jane's where she took an old piece of molding, and created altered art to make this wonderful piece for Halloween...

Isn't it great?
Visit her HERE to see how she did it and to see some of her other pieces!

Using Mamie Jane's piece as inspiration, I came up with my own version...



Here's how I did it...

Supplies:


Wooden block: Mine is 7.5" x 9"
acrylic paint in orange and black
paint brush
scrapbook paper: I used 3 coordinating pieces
pencil
an old photo: I got mine from Graphics Fairy
scissors
black ink pad
letter stamps
E6000 glue
glue stick

I started by painting my block of wood orange.


Next I added some black and blended it in with the orange to give it an old feel.



I printed out a picture of an old woman that I found on the Graphics Fairy website and then cut the picture out.


The scrapbook paper that I used for the witches hat was black with polka dots. I turned the paper over and sketched out a witches hat and cut it out.


Using one of the orange papers, I cut a band for the hat.


I used an ink pad to antique the edges of the orange band and then glued the band to the hat with a glue stick.


Using a piece of scrapbook paper that is larger than the photo, I used my ink pad to antique the paper. I liked the look of this paper because I thought it looked like an old wallpaper.


Once I finished inking the paper, I glued it onto the block using E6000.


I then glued the hat onto the "lady" using a glue stick and then glued her to the large piece of paper on the block.


I put her over to the side but you could center your picture if you'd like that better.

I cut a strip of the black polka dot paper and added it underneath the large paper using E6000.
I cut another strip of a coordinating orange paper and using my stamps, wrote out, "If the hat fits...wear it!"
I like to count out my letters to find which letter would be in the center. I then start with that letter and work my way out so that my phrase is centered.


I inked the paper after I wrote my phrase and attached it underneath the polka dot paper.



I cut a small strip of paper and with my stamps wrote out, "the witch is in". I then glued that piece onto a slightly larger piece of the polka dot paper.


I added those pieces at an angle over the large piece of paper.
 
 
I apologize if you know this lady! I'm sure she was a lovely person!

Here is another version...


Remember...if the hat fits, wear it!

25 comments:

  1. This is a great project! It's kinda sad how all those old picture "ladies" look like witches! Probably cause they aren't smiling ;). I'm hosting my 1st Link Party today and would love it if you could swing by and link a project up. I'm a follower of yours and enjoy receiving your posts in my in-box!
    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out awesome! I have heard about the graphics fairy a lot lately...I should go check it out! Great Halloween project! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I just found your blog and we link up to lots of the same parties :) You can find me over at www.dainty-posies.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO funny! I put it on my FB page tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! What a fun little project! You are very creative! And a great new piece to add to your Halloween decor! Thank you for sharing this @ Show & Share! I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! And it totally made me giggle. Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are soooo cute. Bet the old lady is rolling in her grave. LOL. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the Award shout out. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one of these too with a real vintage picture and called my witch Hazel. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so great! I have to laugh -- these poor ladies were probably the sweetest little grannies and here they are for all the world to see as witches! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mamie Jane is amazing and I love your interpretation! Just found you at Nifty Thrifty Tuesday - following now!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great inspiration and execution! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That last bit about knowing the person is so funny. I do appreciate Karen's (graphic fairy) generosity and your plaque turned out so great!

    I hope you are able to stop by and share at the It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a unique Halloween decoration! :) Thanks for partying at Fancy This Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! thanks for sharing,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! These would look cute on my mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I HAVE to pin it! I am so happy to see you linked it to my new party! Thank you so much! Have a great day!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhhhhh my goodness I LOVE this! :o) thank you for the GREAT inspiration! I am going to have to remember this one! So simple but such a cool look!!! I am excited to have met you via chief-n-training! I will be back! I am a new follower! andddd I don't know if you would be interested, but I host a linky party---you should come an check it out (Thursdays)!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  18. love it!! Would love you to share ay my Link party "Creative Halloween Ideas"
    http://jeana-marie.blogspot.com/2011/09/creative-halloween-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very cute. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. I think I may try this.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute!! I can't get enough of Halloween decorations and this is so cute. Very clever idea!
    shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. ha this is fun!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is great! what a fun decoration! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...