Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Be Our Guest

I am in the process of redoing my guest bedroom. This will be the first of several posts to come with some of my DIY projects.
I'm starting by sharing this antique vanity mirror makeover. 
There's a long, sad story about how the mirror got separated from the vanity, but I'll spare you the details. Anyway, in the sad saga, the mirror fell off of the wooden back.
 I didn't need a mirror in the guest room, but saw potential for something awesome using the back. So, I removed the paper that was behind the mirror and began painting the wood with the color Fluff, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.
 If you've ever painted on cherry or mahogany, you may have had what is known as 'bleed through'. The tannins in these woods will sometimes cause spots to appear through the paint.
 I stopped painting when I saw these pesky spots appear and grabbed the Boss. It stops both bleed through as well as odors. Once the Boss was on the entire piece, I finished painting.
 I added the phrase, "be our guest" by printing out the words and transferring them onto the piece with graphite paper. I filled the transferred letters in using the color, Caviar.


 I added three large hooks to the bottom of the piece.
 The hooks didn't come with screws and the ones I had were silver, so I painted over the screws with more of the Caviar.
 Now I have the perfect place for our guests to hang their coats, robes, purses, etc.

I thought this was going to be my favorite project in the guest room, but wait until you see the next one!
Stay tuned.

Linking To:
Coastal CharmGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun RamblingsMade In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk InteriorsDIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta Create,   Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru Life, French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsOur Hopeful Home, The Painted Hinge, Savvy Southern Style, Tattertots & Jello, Yesterday On Tuesday, Rachel Teodoro, Worthing Court, Confessions Of A Plate Addict, My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia


13 comments:

  1. Such a darling idea!!! Turned out so cute! Can’t wait to see your next project!!!
    ~Emily @lecultivateur.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Where did you get the hooks? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. I got the hooks at Hobby Lobby.

      Delete
  3. This is a good idea. The mirror had pretty lines so it is good you were able to upcycle it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely! What a wonderful transformation. Visiting from Jann's today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed! This is such a creative DIY project. Great start to your renovation. Happy summer........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute project! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! Sorry about the mirror but this is a great upcycle! I love the color Fluff:) Never heard of Boss, I'll have to try it. The words make me hear the song from Beauty and the Beast. Love it and can;t wait to see your next project for the guest room! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm:) xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you're talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We could have a link exchange arrangement between us!
    personalized stainless steel water bottles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...