Saturday, May 27, 2017

Painting With The Patina Collection

A young man recently hired me to paint a piece of furniture for his bedroom. He gave me several pictures for inspiration, as well as pictures of the pieces he's already using in the room. The inspiration pieces were mostly made with raw, reclaimed wood. All the inspiration pieces had a lot of texture. All were rustic yet modern.
I had quite the challenge to get this dark wood & brass piece transformed to something with the same feel as the inspiration pieces.

I decided that The Patina Collection from The Dixie Belle Paint Company would help me achieve the look I wanted.
When using the patina paints, you first have to paint the piece with Dixie Belle paint. This will act as a primer for the patina paint. I chose to use the color Chocolate, but it doesn't really matter what color you use. I just had plenty of the Chocolate in an already opened jar. So, I painted all the wood with Chocolate...

Once the Chocolate was dry, I painted on a coat of Bronze patina paint. The paint has metal in it so you have to shake it well so the metal is distributed throughout the paint.


Once the first coat of bronze patina paint was dry, I painted on the second coat. While the second coat is still wet is when you add the Patina Spray. The spray comes in blue and green. I used the blue spray for this project. And instead of spraying it on, I sprayed it into a bowl and brushed it on with a chip brush. 
 Because the piece was large and you have to add the spray while the second coat of patina paint is wet, I worked in sections. I started with the top, then did the upper half of the front, then the bottom half, then each side.

Then the magic starts to happen as the spray reacts with the paint.
 The reaction will start to happen quickly but can take 2 to 6 hours to finish.


Because the client used silver as the accents in his room, I changed the brass to silver using rub n buff.

Once the reaction of the patina was complete, I went over the entire piece, including the silver, with Dixie Belle's Grunge Glaze. I let the Grunge dry, then went over the entire piece with Black Glaze, also from Dixie Belle.

 I sealed the piece with Gator Hide from Dixie Belle which is a super durable and water repellent sealer.

The piece fits in beautifully in its new home. And, the customer is happy...so, I'm happy!




Linking To:
Coastal Charm,  Someday CraftsGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings,  Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveMade In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru LifeBloom Designs,French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsDIY-Crush, Charm Bracelet Diva, Our Hopeful Home, The Painted Hinge, Savvy Southern Style


11 comments:

  1. What a super way to update that old chest! Love the patina paint! I have so many items that I can think of using this product on. Love! Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful makeover of a fine piece. The patina you created is vibrant and refreshing and it looks perfect in its new place!

    Have a lovely Thursday!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers, I really love the finish this product creates, my readers would love to hear about this product and I would like to invite you to share your pieces at my weekly furniture party #FridaysFurnitureFix home to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful result. I have a question. Where did you get the lamp from and how much did it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! It looks fabulous! I can see why the cutomer was happy:) I never knew Dixie Belle had so many different types of products. The combination you used was perfect! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete


  6. مؤسسة تمديدات غاز مركزي بجدة

    نقوم على تركيب الغاز المركزي في جدة حيث نعتمد على إستراتيجة عمل متطور وأمن في تركيب الغاز بأحدث الطرق اللازمة والخبرة والدقة في العمل ونعتمد على أقوى وأفضل المهندسين والمختصين في
    تمديد الغاز المركزي بجدة
    أفضل أنواع مواسير الغاز المركزي .
    http://ahbabelmadina.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D9%85%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%BA%D8%A7%D8%B2-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%B2%D9%8A-%D8%A8%D8%AC%D8%AF%D8%A9/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out really nicely. Love the new looks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Thanks for sharing! You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here's the link to this week's bash. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2017/06/make-pretty-monday-week-216.html Hope you have a lovely week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGH! You destroyed an absolutely stunning piece with this make-over. While everyone has their preferences, this is just overwhelmingly saddening and maddening. Why oh Why would someone WANT to ruin such a fine piece of furniture?! Also, it looks like my 4 year old painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing such valuable information and knowledge. This can be great and helpful insights for us. I would love to see more updates from you in the future.

    Airless Spray

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...