Monday, August 22, 2011

Folk Art Festival 2011

Last Thursday was my birthday.
It is still shocking to me to say that I am 50!
In my head I am still in my 20's even though my body sometimes reminds me otherwise.

I have wonderful friends and 12 of them took me to lunch at my favorite Thai restaurant on my birthday. Then we went over to my friend, Kelli's, and laid by her pool. My husband was out of town for work and my son was off at college, so it was just Carrie and me for dinner. We could have gone anywhere, but we chose Chic-Fil-A. It doesn't get any better than that. For those of you who live where there is no Chic-Fil-A, you are missing out! The founder of CFA lives in my county so you can't go anywhere without passing one!

Yesterday, my friend, Kimbo, took me on another birthday outing to Norcross, GA to have lunch at Papadeaux's and then to the Folk Art Festival. Papadeaux's is a cajun seafood restaurant and it was wonderful. You feel just like you are in the French Quarter!

The Papadeaux courtyard...

After lunch, we headed over to the 2011 Folk Art Festival. This show is amazing! There are so many talented people in this world!!! There were so many pieces I wanted to buy, but I stored them in my 50 year old brain (yikes, there's that number again) so that I can put my own spin on them. I came home so inspired. I actually started a collage last night. I'll share it with you when it is complete.
If you ever get the chance, go to the festival. It is held every August at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross. You'll be glad you did!

Kimbo standing next to a piece of folk art in the parking lot...
This mermaid is made from all recycled pieces by artist Ralph Douglas Jones from Tybee Island, GA.
This lovely lady sells for $150,000 (the mermaid,not Kimbo).

I wish I could have taken pictures inside but it is frowned upon :(

Here's a sneak peek at what I started working on last night...
I'll post pictures of the finished product once completed (unless it stinks)! 
So far, I'm liking it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...