Monday, August 14, 2023

Pressed Flower Art

 About a year ago, I attended a class with my daughter & some friends, where we made trinket dishes using clay & pressed flowers. The class was taught by Brush And Blossom. I usually teach art & craft classes, so it was nice to be the student for a change. 

After the class, I became a little obsessed with gathering & pressing flowers. I would pick flowers from my yard, & there are beautiful wildflowers & weeds growing along my dirt road. 

To press them, I placed flowers, ferns, leaves, etc. between 2 sheets of  paper, then placed the paper between sheets of parchment paper, & placed them in a book. I have a huge dictionary that works perfectly. 


I have so many pressed flowers but have only done a few projects with them. At Christmas, my son & daughter-in-law gave me packs of these fun stickers. I added some of my pressed flowers to them to make pretty bookmarks.



I wanted a better way to display the flowers rather than hidden in a book. So, I came up with an easy art project using the flowers & the stickers.

I started by painting a wooden canvas with the color Caviar, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company. 

I set the canvas aside to dry, & painted a simple wooden frame with Dixie Belle's color, Weeping Willow.


When dry, I glued the frame to the canvas.


The hardest part of this project was deciding which one of the stickers to use. There are several different ones in each pack, & I have 6 packs.

Once I decided on the one I wanted to use, I peeled off the clear back, & added flowers to the sticky side of the bottle design. 


When making the bookmarks, I add the clear backing back onto the "bottle". But for this project I left it off so I could simply stick it onto the canvas inside of the frame.


I then added a few flowers at each bottom corner of the canvas using ModPodge.


I added a fern across the top of the canvas to complete the project.

Now to figure out what to do with all the other pressed flowers I have!

Linking To:

6 comments:

  1. I love it. I may have to use this in an art class of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, this is so so cute and nifty. Love it and would love to buy some from you should you sell them.
    I visited you via BFF Open House Two Week Party: Aug 17 and Aug 24
    I linked up this week with = 54+55 and this is a friendly reminder to come and join us at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find the linkup information under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I've become obsessed with drying flowers as well! It all started with a kit I got from my library and I've now spent the whole summer pressing flowers. Great project! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bottle stickers are the perfect item to use for crafting with the dried flowers. Very unique art! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just GORGEOUS!
    Don't forget to join us over at the Creative Crafts Linky Party every Wednesday through Sunday
    https://creativelybeth.com/creative-crafts-linky-party/
    Followed and Pinned!
    Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...