Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wine Cork Keychains


I have seen quite a few cork key chains on the web and decided I would make some. After all, I have NO shortage of corks.
Most of the ones I have seen just use the cork as is, but I decided to stamp my corks to add a design. 
This would make a perfectly fine key chain, but why stop there when you can add beads & charms to it?
Here are a few I made using beading wire, charms, & beads...



After I made a few, I thought of an easier way. Instead of using wire and crimp beads, why not use stretchy cord?
So, I gave it a try. It went much quicker!

To get started, you first need to stamp the cork.


I found that the easiest way is to lay the cork down and roll the stamp across it.


 Next, you will add an eye screw to each end. I screwed the eye screw in part way, then unscrewed it, and added a little super glue and screwed it all the way in. It may be fine without the glue but I'm being overly cautious.



Then you will add a split ring to one end.

Next, cut a piece of the cord approximately 8 inches long. Take the stretchy cord and fold it in half to form a loop...

Push the loop through the eye screw that does not have the split ring attached...

Take the loose ends and pull them through the loop to form a knot...

Tie a knot in each cord about a half inch or so down from the
eye screw...

Add beads and charms and tie a knot to secure them...

Use a toothpick and add super glue to all the knots.
When the super glue is dry, trim the excess cord.





 I love this cork stamped with music notes...



This cork had a cute owl on it and I had some owl charms so I didn't feel I needed to stamp the cork with a design...

If you are not a wine drinker, you can buy corks at beer and wine making supply stores. They have plain ones as well as some that have pretty designs already on them.
But, hopefully you have a friend who isn't crafty and will be happy to save their corks for you!

Pin It

Linking To:
Savvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Yesterday On Tuesday, Fabric Bows & More, Ginger Snap Crafts, Beyond The Picket Fence, Primitive & Proper, Creations By KaraPrimp, Rae Gun Ramblings, Adventures In Dinner, Ivy & Elephants, The Artsy Girl ConnectionSeven Thirty Three, Southern Lovely, Delightful Order, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Happy Hour Projects, Joyful Stamper, Chic On a Shoestring, Miss Mustard Seed, Blissful Bucket List, Ladybird Lane, Simply Sweet Home, One Artsy Mama, The Shabby Nest, Craft Junkie Too, A Little Knick Knack, The Vintage Farmhouse, House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, Simply Designing, Truly Lovely, Create Craft Love, The Cottage Market, Country Momma Cooks, Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters' Stuff, Bowdabra, Addicted 2 Decorating, Tatertots & Jello, Young & Crafty, Sassy Sites, Blissful & Domestic, Nap Time Crafters, Love Notes By Lauryn, Cherished Treasures, A Vision To Remember, Craft Envy, Petite Hermine, To Sew With Love, Boogieboard Cottage, Lovely Crafty Home, DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Etcetorize, DIY Home Sweet Home, Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House, Pinkapotamus, Lines Across, Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Chef In Training, The Farmhouse Porch, Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, Natural Mothers Network, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Me & My Boys, Mad In Crafts, Alderberry Hill, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeLil' Luna, Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, The Trendy Treehouse, Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101, Craftionary,
5 Days 5 Ways Lamb Around Domestically Speaking, Tales Of A Trophy Wife, The Kurtz Corner, Fine Craft Guild Katies Nesting Spot, Hubby Made Me, The Thriftiness Miss, Homespun HappeningsCurb Alert,   It's Overflowing, C.R.A.F.T., The Sasse Life, Finding Fabulous, The Answer Is Chocolate

47 comments:

  1. Those are great!
    I haven't seen that before,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea! I made a cork necklace a while back, using eye screws, wire, and beads. turned out pretty well!

    http://sofiasnapshots.blogspot.com/2011/08/cork-necklace.html

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those are fabulous and I have a few people who would adore those as Christmas gifts! Thanks for sharing how you did these! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great designs. So many variation possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A keychain or key chain is a small chain, usually made from metal or plastic, that connects a small item to a keyring. The length of a keychain allows an item to be used more easily than if connected directly to a keyring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What huge fun
    Hey, I'm going to follow you

    http://creaties-jenneke.blogspot.nl

    http://pinterest.com/pin/158822324330108019/
    dear greeting jenneke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea - new follower - Joining from Whatever Goes Wednesday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous! I saw you over at Someday Crafts and now following. I'm sharing these on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial! And I think it would be so fun to keep the cork from a special night out or occasion and make one of these so you would always have a reminder of the fun time. Love! And thanks for coming by Pinner Takes All.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute are these!?! Great tutorial! I give my grown up nieces a small gift every year for Christmas. They are definitely getting these this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a cute idea. I have a daughter in law who would appreciate one of these so I thank you for the tute. I once made a whole bulletin board out of wine corks. It was charming. A restaurant saved me all the corks. Happy Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are soooo cute! I really love the one with music notes:)
    I purchased two bins of corks recently at an estate sale, so I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! Love all the designs. I got many of them but wondering how to make use and particularly make it pretty. Wanna to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! They turned out adorable! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are just so darling! Love that you stamped them ... and agree, I think the music lyric is my favorite! I think i smell an Etsy store ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it stamped. :) Thanks so much for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of cours a plain old cork would never do for the artist in you. Stamping them and adding the beads takes them from fun to WOW! Really great job! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a fab idea - often wanted different ideas for my corks. Are you ok if I scraplift this idea? I have thought of a couple of other ideas they might work for. - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are terrific. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Your participation helps make it a success.I'm sorry I am slow to visit this week as I am fighting a nasty head cold and my time on the computer has been limited.Wishing you a beautiful day .

    ReplyDelete
  20. These just turned out lovely!! That's a great tip about buying corks at a wine making supply store. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came over from The Answer is Chocolate. Love these key chains. I will have to pin it so I don't lose the link.

    Great tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute. Well done. Thank you for sharing and contributing to the link party at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party/


    btw why am i not in that long list of blogs you follow.. what's up with that??! ha ha... ; have a happy day. see you next time on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are too cute! I featured you today!
    Kim~madeinaday

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE THESE! sharing with my friends and will be making them as gifts for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So unique, and so beautiful for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are so cool! There are plenty of corks here for me to give this a try and I am going to be a big old copycat asap.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a great idea! What a simple & inexpensive project that would also make a wonderful personalized gift. I pinned this for a future crafty project :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are soo clever and pretty! Love your upcycle.. Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yeah!!! These are soooo cool! The stamping really makes these fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are really terrific and what a creative idea. I never knew what to do with all the corks from our wine bottles but I don't think I could make a key chain as nice as all of yours. The music note one with the colorful beading is super special.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this idea. Now I know what to do with all those corks I have stored =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. its really good collection of pics gallery as i loved all the gifts very much and i also like to suggest to my friends...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those turned out great. I would use the super glue too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. A very good idea, never really thought we could use cork for keyrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wine cork key chains article is easy to understand and I personally think that it is easy to implement on what has mentioned in this article for everyone

      Delete
  36. I think this process would even work to make a Christmas tree ornament very cheaply. Using metallic stamps or spray paint and crystals. I'm gonna play with this concept tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh my goodness! Such beautiful Keychain!! Thanks for sharing.
    holidays in cork

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wine stoppers are used in order to maintain and preserve the unconsumed wine. You can also use a wine glass charms to decorate your glass to make it more attractive and elegant. This item is so cute and stylish and could fit to any type of glass. There are also a wine box that is look like a common cabinet for the wines but it is smaller and only one or two wines can fit in, this box can be use when you are traveling or in a picnic.

    wine accesories

    ReplyDelete

  39. الشرق الاوسط من اهم شركات نقل العفش بالدمام متحصصه فى نقل عفش واثاث بالدمام ونقل العفش بالخبر كما انها توفر شركة نقل عفش بالجبيل والخبر وشركة نقل عفش بالقطيف والاحساء وجميع خدمات نقل العفش والاثاث بالمنطقة الشرقية بارخص اسعار نقل عفش بالدمام وتقدم ايضا شركة تخزين عفش بالدمام والخبر
    نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
    شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل
    شركة نقل عفش بالخبر
    شركة نقل عفش بالقطيف
    شركة نقل اثاث بالاحساء
    شركة نقل عفش بالخبر
    شركات النقل البري بالدمام
    شركات نقل العفش بالدمام
    ارقام شركات نقل العفش بالدمام
    ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
    شركة تخزين عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر

    ReplyDelete

  40. اهم شركات نقل العفش والاثاث بالدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش ببريدة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great craft idea for cork screws. I have been saving the cork screws from wine bottles, but I have found that most wine bottles now a days have plastic corks. I want to make a hot plate.

    Highly recommended Seattle Bicycle Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  42. I came over from The Answer is Chocolate. Love these key chains. I will have to pin it so I don't lose the link.

    Great tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Those are fabulous and I have a few people who would adore those as gifts. Thanks for sharing how you did these.

    ReplyDelete
  44. These are wonderful! I make cork keychains also, but I'm definitely going to try your ideas. I love the look and ease of the elastic cord. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...