Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A "Sign" Of Italian Sunshine

When I shop at my local Goodwill, which is at least once a week, I look for items that I can sell in the stores where I rent space, but mostly I look for "projects."
Often times there are great pieces of wood that can be turned into art. For example, not too long ago I posted a sign that I made from a piece of wood I bought at Goodwill. You can see it HERE

Last week, I found this...
I paid $3 for it. Someone must have donated it to Goodwill after they were unable to sell it in a garage sale because it had a sticker on it for 99cents.

I painted over the primitive design with black acrylic paint. I looked in Google Translator to find out how to say, "Italian Sunshine" in Italian which I learned is Sole Italiano. Then I painted Sole Italiano Limoncello on the board using yellow, brown, & white acrylic paint that I triple loaded onto my paint brush. I then painted lemons on the board.
Once the paint was dry, I sanded over the whole board to give my sign an aged look.




My plan was to sell it, but it looks so good in my kitchen that I decided to keep it...
for now anyway!


Pin It

Linking To:
Savvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Yesterday On Tuesday, Fabric Bows & More, Ginger Snap Crafts, Beyond The Picket Fence, Primitive & Proper, Creations By KaraPrimp, Rae Gun Ramblings, Adventures In Dinner, Ivy & Elephants, The Artsy Girl ConnectionSeven Thirty Three, Southern Lovely, Delightful Order, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Happy Hour Projects, Joyful Stamper, Chic On a Shoestring, Miss Mustard Seed, Blissful Bucket List, Ladybird Lane, Simply Sweet Home, One Artsy Mama, The Shabby Nest, Craft Junkie Too, A Little Knick Knack, The Vintage Farmhouse, House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, Simply Designing, Truly Lovely, Create Craft Love, The Cottage Market, Country Momma Cooks, Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters' Stuff, Bowdabra, Addicted 2 Decorating, Tatertots & Jello, Young & Crafty, Sassy Sites, Blissful & Domestic, Nap Time Crafters, Love Notes By Lauryn, Cherished Treasures, A Vision To Remember, Craft Envy, Petite Hermine, To Sew With Love, Boogieboard Cottage, Lovely Crafty Home, DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Etcetorize, DIY Home Sweet Home, Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House, Pinkapotamus, Lines Across, Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Chef In Training, The Farmhouse Porch, Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, Natural Mothers Network, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Me & My Boys, Mad In Crafts, Alderberry Hill, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeLil' Luna, Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, The Trendy Treehouse, Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101, Craftionary,
5 Days 5 Ways Lamb Around Domestically Speaking, Tales Of A Trophy Wife, The Kurtz Corner, Fine Craft Guild Katies Nesting Spot, Hubby Made Me, The Thriftiness Miss, Homespun HappeningsCurb Alert,   It's Overflowing, C.R.A.F.T., 


42 comments:

  1. Definately a great improvement! Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you found something old and tired and gave it a new life! Love the After!
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it!!! Fabulous sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful!!! I can see why it was hard to part with! I'll have to start shopping our Goodwills for "projects." Ours are pricey, and most of the stuff is too high to resale. I quit going and stuck with the Salvation Army in our area. But you've given me a new perspective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that is where all those "Welcome Friends" signs go! Love the black and yellow. I had to look up what limoncello was - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calling by from Share your Cup Thursday, of course I love the Limoncello sign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Project. Love the Black color with the Lemon Yellow! Found this on Live.Laugh.Rowe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful project. I love the Limoncello sign. I Love Limoncello...and have some in my fridge.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I have a bottle of chilled Limonocello in my refrigerator. It might be calling me over now, LOL! Visiting from Share Your Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic job!!! Such a happy vibe!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You sure are quick! Thanks for linking up to Curb Alert! and joining the Friday Block Party.
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it -- now i wish you were here to share a glass of!!!! : ) fabulous job and thanks for sharing over at Junkin Joe! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this sign. We would see them all over Amalfi. I'm your newest follower. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/pink-honey-beeswax-lip-balm-and.html
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could paint like this! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment. Your remade sign turned out lovely. I can see why you decided to hang on to it for a while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great! You see a ton of French signs but not alot of Italian! I love Italy and especially love limoncello!! Great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty, and so creative! Visiting from addicted2decorating. Glad I did! :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job, love it! Hugs P.S. thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks great! I love the handwriting and what you chose to write, very Mediterranean!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great way to revamp an old thrifted find! Coming over from TT&J! www.poshideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so talented1 Looks great! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you did with the sign! Very cool! And I love lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooooooh, I love limoncello (it's yummy Italian liquor too) and I love this sign! Very nice. This inspires me to make something sunny and similar for our sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you're invited! Please come by and link up any post(s) related to making your home a better space. I hope you'll join us for Making Space Mondays. Hope to see you there! -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great transfermation, great idea too. Now I'm going to keep my eyes oppen for anything I can paint over and make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dil is Italian and so I am very familiar with limoncello. I love it. Hot going down.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do the same thing at my local Goodwill store. This is awsome. I love the new look of the old wood. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How fun! I like it much better now. It would go perfect in my kitchen too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it!
    You've been featured on DIY Thrifty Thursday at www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    Hope to see you again this week!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it! I had to smile because I painted one of those Welcome Friends signs years ago. Long been donated to thrift. Love the Italian words and the lemons look good enough to eat. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so very talented! I love the sign it's gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking this up to our weekend Wonders party. Hope to see you back on Thursday :)

    http://thethriftinessmiss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness, you are talented!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It really is quite perfect. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have fallen in love with this sign! you do magic with those hands of yours, Virginia. By the way, we will be featuring this at the party tomorrow ^^)


    thanks for sharing this with us at the Crafty Saturday Party. I can't wait to see what you have for us this week.

    Hugs,
    Lelanie@to-sew-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! We love it...beautiful transformation! We appreciate you linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! Please come back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  36. The Curb Alert! Block Party link is up again today and through the weekend. I would love it if you joined us again! http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-block-party-15.html
    Have a great weekend!
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...