It seems that everyday there is at least one post in the blogging world raving about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
I have wanted to try it since I paint a lot of furniture. I love the painting part but hate the sanding and priming part of it. So, it only made sense for me to try it. But it is pricy! I have also heard great things about the wax sold with ASCP. I had a piece of furniture that I had painted and decided I would start off just buying the wax.
I found where I could buy ASCP locally and headed off to the store. I had a million questions about it. I was pleased to find out that I could also paint metal and glass with chalk paint. So, I not only bought the wax, I left with a quart of ASCP in Old Ocre. I bought the clear wax because I was told I could tint the wax with whatever color I want.
So, here is my first project using ASCP....
I bought a milk glass vase and a metal Bottle Cap Christmas sign at Goodwill. Each piece cost $1.91.
The sign was cute but it was really scratched up, which you can't tell in the picture.
I gave both pieces 2 coats of the chalk paint. One coat just didn't cover as well as I'd like.
Then I used a ruler to add lines to form a diagonal pattern on the sign. I painted every other section with pink acrylic paint. I added the pink to the raised areas of the vase.
I mixed a little brown acrylic paint into my wax and gave both pieces a coat of the tinted wax. I applied the wax with a brush and then smoothed it out with a rag.
Using E6000, I glued the vase to the bottom of the sign.
I have to say, I enjoyed my first experience with chalk paint.
I think my pedestal turned out really cute...
I finished one more project using the ASCP...
I bought these two 1970's brass fruit medallions at a yard sale for $1.50 each.
I gave each of them two coats of chalk paint.
Then I used a brush to apply wax that I tinted with brown.
As I covered areas with the wax, I would go back and rub most of it off, leaving it darker in the recessed areas.
It was darker than I wanted so I then went back with the paint and rubbed it over the medallion. I did this using a rag dipped in the paint. I was careful not to get the paint in the recessed areas.
In this picture you can see the difference this made...
I like the lighter one much better!
My plan was to sell these, but they looked so good in my formal dining room with my brown walls that I decided to keep them...
for now anyway!