Friday, December 11, 2020

Joy Ornament Door Hanger DIY

 

I'm not a traditional wreath type of girl and love a great door hanger that I can customize. And, there are so many options available to create something unique.

For the door hanger that is on my front door for this Christmas season, I added a little JOY!

I started with a large wooden ornament from Signopoly.

I painted the ornament with the color, Fluff, from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.
I used painters tape to add grain sack stripes with the color, French Linen.

To soften the paint colors, I washed over the French Linen with the Fluff, then washed over the Fluff with Grunge Glaze.
I cut a J and a Y with my Cricut Maker to make a stencil.
When you apply Cricut vinyl to a surface you put transfer tape over it to be able to place it easily and keep wrinkles out of the vinyl. Once I peeled up the transfer tape, I placed it at the top of the vinyl. Because the letters are close to the edge at the top of the vinyl, the tape will act as a barrier when I stencil so the paint won't go outside of the vinyl and end up where I don't want it.
I used a makeup sponge to apply the color Evergreen to the stencil. I did 3 thin coats to get good coverage.
I added Gemstone Mousse in the color, Diamond, to the top of the ornament and gave it a little accent of the paint color, Coffee Bean.

I placed a boxwood wreath between the J and Y to represent the O. I used a combination of hot glue and E6000. Hot glue will hold for now, but E6000 will hold forever.
A little JOY for my door!




Linking To:

4 comments:

  1. Love those grain sack stripes and the farmhouse charm of your door hanger, Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very pretty and festive thanks for sharing
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another gorgeous project and the boxwood "O" really makes it pop. Featuring when my link party opens up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those grain sack stripes! And I'm a huge fan of boxwood wreaths. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm Pinned!xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...