Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Plaster Of Paris Flowers


Have you made Plaster Of Paris flowers yet? Well, if not, be prepared (when you do make them) to want to put them on everything! When you look at everyday items, you will wonder, "how would that look if I add a few flowers?"
So, when I saw these jars at the thrift store, I grabbed them knowing that they were crying out for flowers!

To make the flowers, I simply cut fake flowers, leaving a little of the stem to hold onto...

then dipped them into Plaster Of Paris...

I gave it a little shake and let the excess drip off.

I laid the flowers on wax paper to harden.

While the flowers were drying, I painted the wooden top of the jars with chalk paint. I used Dixie Belle paint in the color, Drop Cloth. 
Drop Cloth is the same color as the plaster so I didn't have to paint the flowers to match.

When the flowers had hardened, I cut the stem as close to the flower as I could get...

Then I glued the flowers onto the jar lids using E6000.




When I bought the jars, I had no idea what their final purpose would be. I just wanted to make them pretty. Then it hit me that they would be perfect in my guest bathroom. So, I filled them with Q-tips, cotton balls, and small soaps...







For now, my pretty jars will have a home in the guest bathroom. But, I may have to move them to my bathroom so I can enjoy them everyday!
Pin It

Linking To:
  Someday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Ginger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings, Ivy & Elephants,   Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Chic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby NestMomnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonTruly LovelyThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember, Boogieboard Cottage,  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac,  Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, A Bowl Full Of LemonsMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  C.R.A.F.T., The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty HomeAdorned From AboveCedar Hill Ranch, Classy Clutter, Flutter BusterTwelve O Eight, Nap Time Creations, The Shady Porch, JoJo And Eloise, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamHouse Of HoffOur Home Away From Home, Living Well Spending Less, Remodelaholic, A Lived In Home, Flamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver Pennies, Mad Cap Frenzy Gingerly MadePink WhenMinnette's MazeMade To Be A Momma Start At HomeLil Mrs ToriHomecomingThe Vintage FarmhousePink Recipe BoxSweet HauteTable For SevenBe BetsyIt Happens In A BlinkOne Dog Woof, 4 You With Love, A Stroll Thru LifeA Bright And Beautiful LifeCrafty Goodies Live Love CreateThe Koenigs CreateBloom Designs,French Country Cottage, Daisy Cottage Designs, Orchard Girls, Elizabeth Joan Designs, The Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou Girls, Karen's Up On The Hill,


Photobucket/

54 comments:

  1. Love the look .. But, aren't they hard to clean. I'm talking "dust".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can clean them with the dust remover that spray air just like you clean your computer keyboard.

      Delete
    2. What innovation! An old world look...Pretty and durable. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Artsy! I love this project! It has been around a long time! Thank you for bringing it back to life with your beautiful jars! I love the cabinet and the guest bathroom decor! But I'm like you, I think I'd like to look at them more often! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What an awesome idea! I love, love, love it. Now this is something I must try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! Thank you it gives me a great way to add interest to a ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to add pizzazz to ...anything! My mom has some Royal Dalton Bone China flowers and these remind me of those! I haven't worked with Plaster of Paris before did it provide a thick sturdy coat or as the original flower fabric was flexible would they be somewhat fragile and need gentle handling on the lid top?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love these so much, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I love these! What a great idea. My mind is loaded with ideas on how I could incorporate these into my daughter's DIY wedding next summer. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I am going to have to try this because they are so pretty!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Felicitaciones es genial tu trabajo. Saludos. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I will definitely be trying this...you make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I love this idea Virginia. I am going to have to make some! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely. I haven't tried this yet, but now it's on my to make list. I love them on top of the jars and how you're using them. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these! Thank you for sharing with us on Brag About It!
    Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7, we can’t wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your wonderful creativity at The Inspiration Board link party. Your project was featured today!

    Have a wonderful and creative day!

    Carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I think this is simple enough that I can do it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found these via Pinterest. Have to say they came out quite nice. Elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have dusted delicate glass flowers by putting the bloom ends into a paper bag, add fine salt and seal and shake. Works wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. huh great idea!! Never would have thought of that! -Thanks

      Delete
  20. Замечательная идея! Спасибо!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful roses. Where can I buy this plaster of Paris?
    Stefania from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for your tutorial, right now just finished my version of this project, thanks to you.

    Have you viewed Real Estate Lake LBJ Service

    ReplyDelete
  23. How do you mix the plaster of paris

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these! Thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to have to make some for photography props.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. U can add a little bit of white glue to the mix...it will prevent the plaster of paris from chipping.

    ReplyDelete
  27. would spraying with a clear sealer help them from not chipping? Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AWESOME. would it be possible to color the plaster of paris?

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE LOVE LOVE these!
    Will definitely incorporate in my shabby chic décor!
    THANKS for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I saw a mirror that was decorated with plastered flowers. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi I'd like to try this but where can I buy plaster of Paris and do it come already mixed since it looks like you dipped you flowers in a can much like the paint cans. I'll be looking for your reply. Thank you.

    Emma. tvs230@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you can purchase plaster of Paris at the hardware store or your local hobby and craft store. t comes in powder form and and has easy direction on the box or bag it comes in. You can experiment and make it as thick or thin as you would like for any project. You can also make your own chalk paint with it with any of the many direction on line. Good luck and have fun. I know I can't wait to get started.

      Delete
  32. OMG! I love these flowers. I have already scoped out a few projects to appliy the flowers to. Now I just have to brave the 50 to 60 MPH cold winds and make it to Hobby Lobby to get flowers and plaster of paris. We are supposed to be holed in for the weekend. Believe it or not ice and possible snow in TX. So, I think I have a new craft to make me happy I am indoors for the duration. Thanks so much for this wonderful idea. Could you use dry powdered paint for dying the plaster or the powdered dye in the Easter Egg kits? I always buy several of those after Easter to make dye for other projects.
    I cannot wait to get started. Thanks again for reminding us of this lovely craft. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  33. They have so many choices, and they are open to creating custom, authentic blooms with your loved ones in mind. Not only do they make the usual flower bouquets and arrangements for almost any occasion that comes to your mind, 24hrscityflorist.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I TRIED THIS YESTERDAY IT WAS A FLOP. THE FLOWERS DROOPED LOST SHAPE AND DIDNT GET COVERED ALL THE WAY. USED A TWO TO ONE RATIO AS IT STATED ON THE BOX. SHOULD IT BE A ONE TO ONE RATION FOR THIS APPLICATION? THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  35. Phenomenal Blog! I might want to thank for the endeavors you have manufactured in composing this post. I'm trusting the same best work from you later on too..flower concentrates for sale

    ReplyDelete

  36. شركة نظافة عامة بالرياض للمنازل والشقق والفلل
    شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض

    ReplyDelete

  37. نحن افضل شركة تنظيف مجالس وموكيت بالرياض
    شركةالصفرات لتنظيف المجالس

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cannabis flowers delivery. Theherbalcoast.com offers online cannabis store and flower concentrates for sale at an affordable price. Get the best deal now! flower concentrates for sale

    ReplyDelete
  39. Holaaa me fascinan manualidades. Yeso de París que es alguno en especial. Xq aki venden yeso y punto. Soy de Uruguay. En Youtube he visto para preparar Yeso casero. Agradezco Respuesta 😊💟

    ReplyDelete
  40. Unas rosas bellísimas y elegantes !!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The intricate details you've achieved on each petal are remarkable, and the fact that they'll last longer than real flowers adds to their charm. Your creativity truly knows no bounds, and I can't wait to try my hand at making these lovely decorations.

    If anyone has thoughts on check cashing apps or wants to discuss these lovely plaster flowers, feel free to chime in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...