Saturday, August 31, 2024

A Sentimental Sign

 My father was always a hard worker & provided well for his family. When he retired late into his 70's, he didn't know what to do with himself. So, he got a job working in the club house of a golf course. He loved it! It was fun for my children too. He would take them for golf cart rides & let them putt. My daughter took her first steps in that club house. 

I lost my father 20 years ago, & the golf course has since been replaced by a hotel. Only the memories remain. And when a fellow junker posted pictures online of 2 signs he had for sale, my jaw dropped. They were the signs from the golf course where my father worked. I had to have one! So I called my junkin' friend & had him hold one for me & went as quickly as I could to get it.


My husband & I got the sign home, then I put my son to work turning the sentimental sign into a table for our screened porch.

My son, John, is extremely talented! He is an architect by profession. He can build just about anything you want. He also creates fantastic leather items. You can check him out at handcrafted_architect on Instagram & Hand Crafted Architect on Facebook.

John built a frame to hold the sign. It's huge so he put lots of support underneath. He used 4"x4"s for the legs with 2"x4"s for braces. I stained the legs & braces with Voodoo Gel Stain from the Dixie Belle Paint Company in the color Tobacco Road.


I Painted the 2"x4" boards that frame the sign with the chalk mineral paint color, Fluff, from Dixie Belle. The letters on the sign were worn, but I chose to not touch them up, but rather leave them worn. It adds to the character.

John left a lip around the sign to be able to add resin. He used a 2 part resin that you mix together. If you've ever used resin, you know that some of them will yellow over time. I've yet to find one that doesn't. If you know of one, please share it with me!

This project was actually done several years ago (sorry, I'm just now sharing) &, you guessed it, it yellowed. 

But, not to worry, I just painted over the Fluff border with Rebel Yellow. It was a perfect match!



John also built the benches.

We can easily fit 12 people at the table... 14 if we add chairs at the ends.

The sign brings back so many wonderful memories. And, we are creating more memories as we gather around the table.





Linking To:

3 comments:

  1. Amazing and well done, gorgeous
    Found your post on The Answer is Chocolate: BFF Open House. My entries this week are numbered #59+60
    Hope you will join/share M-Sat at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy is that table top sign ever a score! Your reasoning PLUS the fact that a family member made it just ramps up the meaning! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...