Monday, January 7, 2013

Measuring Up

While feeding my Pinterest addiction, I came across a website that I love called One Lucky Day. 
They recently showed how to make a beautiful necklace using wooden discs that they dyed and stamped. Go HERE to see what they did. I liked the idea of stamping the discs and it got my wheels turning. Rather than using the discs for jewelry, I went in another direction...

I used the discs as embellishments for a photo display.

One Lucky Day used dye to color their discs but I just used paint and applied it with a damp paper towel. I used 3 colors...blue, teal, & yellow.




I stamped each of the discs...



Using a Burnt Umber acrylic paint, I antiqued the discs using a damp paper towel...
 
Using the same Burnt Umber paint, I darkened small clothespins to match the color of an old yardstick... 

I glued the discs onto the clothespins and once that was dry I glued the clothespins onto the yardstick...




Since the yardstick was not thick enough to accommodate screws, I glued the hooks onto the back. This is the first time that I used Zap-A-Gap glue, but my son who is an architecture student and has to build a lot of things, assured me that it will hold anything! He warned me not to get it on my fingers or I would be stuck forever!!!

Just add pictures and this makes a unique way to display your photos...





This would also work in an office as a way to display notes or business cards!
I think it measures up quite nicely!

Pin It

Linking To:
Savvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Yesterday On Tuesday, Fabric Bows & More, Ginger Snap Crafts, Beyond The Picket Fence, Primitive & Proper, Creations By KaraPrimp, Rae Gun Ramblings, Adventures In Dinner, Ivy & Elephants, The Artsy Girl ConnectionSeven Thirty Three, Southern Lovely, Delightful Order, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Happy Hour Projects, Joyful Stamper, Chic On a Shoestring, Miss Mustard Seed, Blissful Bucket List, Ladybird Lane, Simply Sweet Home, One Artsy Mama, The Shabby Nest, Craft Junkie Too, A Little Knick Knack, The Vintage Farmhouse, House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, Simply Designing, Truly Lovely, Create Craft Love, The Cottage Market, Country Momma Cooks, Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters' Stuff, Bowdabra, Addicted 2 Decorating, Tatertots & Jello, Young & Crafty, Sassy Sites, Blissful & Domestic, Nap Time Crafters, Love Notes By Lauryn, Cherished Treasures, A Vision To Remember, Craft Envy, Petite Hermine, To Sew With Love, Boogieboard Cottage, Lovely Crafty Home, DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Etcetorize, DIY Home Sweet Home, Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House, Pinkapotamus, Lines Across, Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Chef In Training, The Farmhouse Porch, Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, Natural Mothers Network, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Me & My Boys, Mad In Crafts, Alderberry Hill, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeLil' Luna, Today's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie, The Trendy Treehouse, Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101, Craftionary,
5 Days 5 Ways Lamb Around Domestically Speaking, Tales Of A Trophy Wife, The Kurtz Corner, Fine Craft Guild Katies Nesting Spot, Hubby Made Me, The Thriftiness Miss, Homespun HappeningsCurb Alert,   It's Overflowing, C.R.A.F.T., The Sasse Life, Finding Fabulous, The Answer Is Chocolate, Sugar and Dots, Sarahndipities, Skip To My Lou, Sumos Sweet Stuff, The Thrifty Home, DIY By Design, Navy Wifey Peters, Or So She Says, Diana Rambles, Adorned From Above, Wallis Farm Daily Walk, Cedar Hill Ranch

51 comments:

  1. I love Pinterest too, so many great ideas out there. Love your creativeness! This is a perfect way to display many items. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that project! Your color choices are so nice. Thanks for showing us!
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is just great! I love the way you antiqued everything with the burnt umber paint. Thanks for sharing how it turned out :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this idea- I would tuck it away for some day when I have a space/use for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome project! I have tons of these little discs sitting around. I am definitely going to try my hand at this. Love it. How clever too! I hope you will link this up tomorrow! -K

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I would really like to make it for my kids' rooms to hang pictures.

    I host a link party each Thursday and would love for you to share this.

    Thanks for the great post!

    -Angie
    www.easylivingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out fantastic! I'd love it if you stopped by my weekly link party and shared this. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project...I have a thing for yardsticks and rulers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!!!! Pinned:) Stop by
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/love-free-valentine-printables.html
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/DIY%20Dollar%20Hats
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/Everybody%20Loves%20Doris%20Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I hadn't seen this on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun and cute idea! Yours turned out great. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love Love this idea. So gonna make one for myself. I am the queen of yardsicks (buying them while thrifting that is!) New to your blog but love it. Will visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable! I pinned it to make later. I'd love to use it in our school room to hang up the artwork. Great job! Thanks for sharing! I'm following you on GFC now. I'd love for you to visit http://posedperfection.blogspot.com sometime and maybe even follow me back.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too cute!!! Brilliant idea!
    Have a fabulous weekend!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea--especially how you antiqued everything so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! Love this idea! - Pinning :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. very pretty. I think I will make one for my sewing room to hang patterns I am working with on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The discs are beautifully decorated with the colors you chose and the stamped images. What a great idea to be able to change out the pictures on a regular basis. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that this is such a great idea! I really want to do it for my craft room. We are having our basement finished. It'll be a couple months, but this would be so fun. I love the colors you used and the stamps! Did you just find the discs at the craft store. I'm guessing so. Thanks so much for sharing this with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you did the discs! I've got old yard sticks I've been holding onto and now I have an idea of how I can use them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea, thanks for sharing!! Found you via Ginger Snap Crafts linky party! Now I want to find you on Pinterest! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I came over from the Pin Me Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this idea! Looks great! I like how you stamped the discs and stained them :) Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Clever! I love the way you painted and stamped the discs! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cutest yardstick measuring stick display ever!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is very cute but what I notice is the yard stick. I collect them AND early in my career I worked for Pfizer Quality Control. I covet that yard stick!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is awesome girl! Way to go! U have a great blog.
    I am stopping by today from Mop It Up Mondays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulous idea, they really are so beautiful-what a great job! Thanks for sharing this with us at Seasonal Celebration Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG! Perfect for pics of my creations to hang in my sewing studio!!! Thank you!!!! Love this!!!!
    ~Louise

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this. So, many uses- in the kitchen as recipe card holder, laundry room with tips for removing stains, my sewing room, key holder....... I will definitely make one of these. Thanks for sharing, pinned and posted to my FB EmbellishMePattyV page.

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE this idea...Oh the possibilities!!! I will definitely put this on my 'To Do' list. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.

    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :)

    Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html
    Lenetta

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE the way this turned out!! Great job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great idea!! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hopping by to let you know that I will be featuring you at Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for sharing, I am featuring tomorrow afternoon at my party. -K

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am featuring you today! I love this ruler pic hanger idea! Thank you for linking up at Made in a Day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are gorgeous, Virginia. I really love them! Thanks for sharing these beauties with us. We will be featuring this today, by the way! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this week!

    Lelanie @ to-sew-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Really cute idea! I just love it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...