Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Garden Chair

This wrought iron chair was recently headed for the dump.
It belonged to a friend and she asked if I wanted it. 
Need you ask? Of course I want it!!!
It just laid there missing its back legs for a couple of weeks while I pondered what to do with it.
Then it hit me!
This is what I came up with...

I first put down a cinder block.
 Then I stacked a galvanized tub on top of the block and filled it with potting soil.
I then put the chair on the tub and made sure the dirt came all the way up to the bottom of the chair.
Then I gently began planting portulaca in the openings of the chair seat.
I planted about 8 sprigs of portulaca.
Here it is at different stages...








The portulaca has completely covered the seat of the chair and looks beautiful in my garden!
It looks much better here than at the dump!!!

Pin It


Linking To: 
Savvy Southern Style, Boogieboard Cottage,Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just A Housewife, Coastal Charm,To Sew With Love, Under The Table & Dreaming,Cherished Treasures,The Graphics Fairy,Polly Want A Crafter,Funky Junk Interiors,Addicted 2 Decorating,Domestically Speaking,Tales of a Trophy Wife,DIY Showoff, Skip To My Lou,Mommy By Day... Crafter By Night,Miss Mustard Seed,All Things Heart and Home,The Shabby Nest,Someday Crafts,Sew Much Ado,Lil' Luna,Sugar and Dots,House of Hepworths,Yesterday on Tuesday,Thrifty Decorating,Remodelaholic,Fingerprints on the Fridge,Lovely Crafty Home,Ladybird LN Craft Envy,Dittle Dattle,Craft-O-Maniac,Keeping It Simple,Mad In Crafts,Making The World Cuter,Sisters of the Wild West,Sarahndipities,Today's Creative Blog,Tip Junkie,Sassy Sites,The Thrifty Home,seven thirty three,Sisters Stuff,Fabric Bows and More,Sew Woodsy,Tea Rose Home,Ginger Snap Crafts,The Shabby Creek Cottage,What Allie's Making Now,Thrifty 101,Momnivore's Dilemma,It's Sew Stinkin Cute,Beyond The Picket Fence,Finding Fabulous,Trendy Treehouse,A Little Knick Knack,Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,Simply Sweet Home, Creation Corner,Truly Lovely with the Laney Sisters,Mommaskindacrafty,Simply Designing,Joyful Stamper,Tatertots and Jello,Along For The Ride,Young and Crafty,While He Was Napping,A Vision To Remember,Stay At Home Nation,LambAround,Nifty Thrifty Things,Petite Hermine,A Bowl Full Of Lemons,The Foley Fam,Type A,Reasons To Skip The Housework,DIY Club Inc,Primitive and Proper,Creations by Kara,Elle Belle CreativeTales from Bloggeritaville,Delightful Order,Gluesticks,Somewhat Simple,Frugalicious Me,All Things Fee,Cherished Bliss,Homework,Me and My Boys,Homemaker on a Dime,Primp,Craft Junkie Too,Home Savvy,Lines Across My Face,Bear Rabbit Bear,The Kurtz Corner,Chef In Training,The Sasse Life,Project Queen,Crafty Scrappy Happy,Raising 4 Princesses,DIY Home Sweet Home,Passionately Artistic,Redoux,Pocket Full Of Pink,Kammy's Korner,I Can't Stop Crafting,Sassafras Salvation,The Artsy Girl Connection,The Shady Porch,Rae Gun Ramblings,Six Sisters Stuff,Sew Crafty Tuesday,Adventures In Dinner,Knick Of Time,Five Days 5 Ways,Some Good Stuff,Seven Alive,Ivy and Elephants,Creating Home,Alderberry Hill,
The Cottage MarketFine Craft Guild, I should be mopping the floor, CRAFT.,  Happy Hour Projects, Natural Mothers Network, Cowgirl Up, It's A Cinch,  Country Momma Cooks, Goings On In TexasAt Home With K Mushki Loves, Grateful Belly, Etcetorize, Bowdabra, Dotted Line Crafts, Made In A Day, Southern Lovely,Fishtail Cottage, Have a Daily Cup Of Mrs. Olson,Blissful Bucket List,

46 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! It looks so pretty and I love that you didn't let it get thrown away. Great job!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally creative and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE portulaca and I have to admit, I scratched my head on the chair wondering what you'd do with a 2-legged chair! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are amazing! I love it and love portulaca!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's got to be the best junk save I've seen in a long time! It looks gorgeous now. Did you know that we have a Garden Party linky going on this month at Etcetorize? It would be great if you added this project. (Just scroll down, it's the second party.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this I am doing this next year on my deck. Such a cool idea and it looks so pretty.

    Found you at WUW Following you now Check out clochesandlavender.com

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent idea. I absolutely love it. Hugs...Lu

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling idea! The flowers look so pretty against the wrought iron!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  9. So whimsical and sweet! Way to make it work!!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks beautiful! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea!! i have always wanted one of these chairs!! I will definitely be on the look out!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, hopped over from Fishtail Cottage. What a great way to save this beauty. I have a table, four chairs and a bench like it. They were passed down to me from my mother. I now know what I will do if one of the chairs ever breaks. i love the hardiness of portulaca. I planted it in my front beds last year and have it coming up all over this year. The new starts are just now starting to bloom. Your chair looks wonderful. What a fun conversation piece.
    Hugs,
    Jann
    p.s. I am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love your chair. The portulaca look so pretty in the final reveal.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely too cute! That's brilliant! I love how the moss rose looks in the chair! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely Gorgeous and very creative and looks great in your garden

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is brilliant - I found you on a search for fork/cork plant markers and I think I'll visit a while. Thank you for the details on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty!

    I would love for you to share this at my Flaunt It Friday Link Party. Make sure you enter for the great giveaway too! :) http://www.blissfulbucketlist.com/2012/06/flaunt-it-friday-2.html

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that is a great use of a broken chair! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. darling save! so glad you snatched it up!!!! thanks so much for linking up to this weeks garden party! love it! (finally just got my own post up) lol xoxo tracie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Genius! I love those old iron chairs and you repurposed brilliantly. Enjoy!
    Visiting from Truly Lovely ~ Heidi @ Decor & More

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there
    That is a great flower job :)
    HAPPY MIDSUMMER
    and do not miss....

    M
    I
    D
    S
    U
    M
    M
    E
    R

    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a clever and beautiful idea. That chair is such a find, even without legs. You've made it so gorgeous with the flowers. Good thinking. I found your post through Bowdabra's Saturday Showcase. Stop over and visit me at Quirky Vistas.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello,

    thats a very cute idea.I like it very match.

    Greatings send you Conny

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gee...I have the matching love seat minus one arm if you'd like it! Really cute.CTD

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this garden chair. I'm pinning this!! Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a cute and wonderful recycle project! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a unique idea! i love it! just make sure no one sits on your pretty flowers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Way to make a treasure out of a broken chair! That is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very clever idea. I bet your friend wishes she thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, just wanted to hop over and let you know that I will be featuring you on Share Your Cup later today.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks so beautiful in your garden! Amazing transformation! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this! And yes, it looks so much better than wasting away at the dump! :) Love the colors of the flowers against the white! Thanks so much for sharing this project at my Unveil Your Genius link party last week! I hope you'll link up again soon! :)
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/06/unveil-your-genius-link-party-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are so brilliant that you make me feel dumb! haha. This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ahhh, brilliant idea!!
    I love that you saved this treasure from the dump & turned it into something beautiful!!
    I'll be featuring you this week @ Inspire Me Fridays! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a great idea, Virginia! so creative and it's great you were able to recycle the chair in a creative way. thanks for sharing. we will be featuring this, by the way. see you at the party this week!

    have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    to-sew-with-love.com
    tocookwithlove.com
    villaportillo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. gorgeous! It adds such a touch of whimsy to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have a wrought iron chair with one leg broke off and was wondering what to do with it when I came across this idea... so... now I just need to get the measurements, cinderblock and glavanized tub! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. you are awesome! this is such as smart idea! :)

    huggies ***
    smart momma

    ReplyDelete
  39. Among the wide range of furniture that can be purchased from manufacturers both online and locally, plastic folding chairs are a popular choice. Have purchased from here-
    Plastic Chairs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...