Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Shadow/Light Box

My birthday was back in August, and a friend gave me this shadow box that she found at an antique mall...
I have had so many ideas of what I wanted to do with it... make a jewelry holder, turn it into a table top, the list goes on and on.

And, I had these left over from Christmas...
I used quite a few of these battery operated candles this year. I used them in with my live greenery. My husband was very appreciative that I didn't use the real thing and burn the house down!

Then I had a "bright idea" (haha). I could incorporate them into my shadow box!

I had my husband remove the ends of the shadow box to take away the "country" feel...

Then I gave it a coat of paint...

I bought some Damask print vellum and cut a few pieces to cover some of the openings in the shadow box...


I used E6000 and glued the vellum to a few sections of the the front of the box. I only glued the top edge of the vellum down. You'll see why in a minute.

I bought these bird embellishments at Michael's...
They were 50% off so I got them for $2.49.

I had some scrap pieces of mat board that I cut to fit the openings of my box. I added the bird embellishments and a vintage brooch to the mat board...


I attached the mat board to the back of the box.





In a couple of the sections, I glued the vellum to the back of the box, rather than the front. On one of these pieces, I attached a dragonfly pin...

Now for the reason why I glued the vellum on the front of the box to only one side... I wanted to be able to lift it up to turn on my candles if I hang the box on the wall...

Here is the finished shadow/light box...



This would also be a great way to display photos!

31 comments:

  1. My grandsons were prowling around our acreage last weekend and found a dump pile from an old Victorian farmhouse that used to be on the property - they brought me an old window frame, and this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to do! Where do you get the Vellum - @ Michael's? Thanks for a great blog, and great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative! I love what you did with the box and great idea to keep access for the flameless candles. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice project! I like your idea and I did not know you could buy printed vellum, but it looks good! Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is seriously so clever!! I love how you've included the little lights! Beautiful project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love this!! I have a few of these shelves (didn't think of removing the heart cut-out end!) -- this is a great project! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shadowbox! Love it!
    I'm a new follower, can't wait to see what you do next!
    Best Wishes ~ Mary from SweetLittleBluebird.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative display- love the little birds in there too!

    You have vision!Thanks for sharing :)

    Visiting from Fingerprints On The Fridge party,
    ~Suzanne in NW IL (whycuzican)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post! Love the little birds - the picture with the candles caught my attention on the ArtsyGirl linkup - joined your site and would love you to join mine too(http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/) off for a good look round your blog - happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice project and great design!I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! What a creative mind you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This came out so cute. Those little lights are the perfect touch.
    A few blog friends and I are collectively presenting a new challenge idea that we would love to have you join. If you have a second, check in at http://www.thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com on Monday to learn more, and feel free to email me if you have any questions!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you via the Strut Your Stuff hop & am a new follower.

    This project came out really nice - I love the extra touch of the lights behind the paper.

    Brooke

    http://cupcakecucumber.blogspot.com
    http://blueberrysquash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, look at YOU go! So many great ideas in one project. WELL DONE!

    Thanks SO much for linking up your awesome posts @ Feature Friday Free-for-All!

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this shadow box. I have an old display case similar to this I have been thinking about getting rid of ... I love this idea though ! I hope that you will share it at my party, Some Good Stuff: http://some-good-times.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-good-stuff-2.html

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project - beautiful for display! Won't you consider sharing it with my readers at sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/architectural-salvage-jewelry.html. Thanks! Happy New Year!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love IT
    Very nice indeed

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how fun--love your transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very classic display! It really goes with any decor. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks amazing! You did such an incredible job!

    I'm happy to be your newest follower, and I'm hoping you'll stop by my BRAND NEW blog and follow me back!!

    Thanks a million :)
    Sarah @ Dotted Line Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous idea!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday last week. Hope to see you back again this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. well SHEESH that is creative!!!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute ideas! Thanks for sharing and linking up on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you come back next Saturday and share more creative ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  23. you always have creative and fab projects, Virginia! I am totally loving this one and definitely am pinning it and featuring it at the blog!


    hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute and clever idea! I never would have thought of this...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey VaVa, I'm glad you created another success. I know you did something with the pieces you sawed off as well. What????

    From your senior thrifter friend. Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...