Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Easy Pendants

In November, my husband and I celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary by taking a weekend trip to Savannah. There is a shop there that I loved called The Paris Market. On the checkout counter they had a bowl full of French copper pieces. They had great little designs on them and I knew I could figure out something to do with them so I bought 4. I first thought I would make them into rings, but then decided they'd be great for pendants.
So, I bought some copper bails and glued them to the back of the copper piece with E6000. This was such an easy way to create a unique pendant...





I'm sure you've seen lots of tutorials for making Scrabble tile pendants. But, just for fun, here's another one...
You'll need:
Scrabble tiles
scrapbook paper or other paper with graphics 
Diamond Glaze or other adhesive and sealer
E6000 glue
jewelry findings
bail
I started by printing out a map of France that I found on the Graphics Fairy website & gathered my supplies...
I figured out what part of the map I wanted to show and traced around the Scrabble tile...
I cut it out making sure to cut inside the lines I drew so the paper wouldn't be too large for the tile...
Next, I inked the edges of the paper. I also inked the sides and top edges of the Scrabble tile so if my paper was cut too small you wouldn't notice...

I adhered the paper to the tile using Diamond Glaze. I also used the Diamond Glaze on top of the paper as a sealer.
Once the Diamond Glaze was dry, I added the jewelry finding. I added it to a corner using E6000 and bent it around the edge of the tile...
I finished the pendant by gluing a copper bail to the back using E6000...


I made another pendant using scrapbook paper and another one using another section of the paper I printed out...
I liked how the one that says, "Map of Paris" looks without having to add anything to it. So, I just added the bail and was done...
The jewelry findings were really easy to cut, so I cut one of them in half and then cut one of the halves in half and added them to the tile with the scrapbook paper...

So, don't throw away your old Scrabble games...
or, if you do, keep the tiles!!! Or, send them to me!!!

Pin It

Linking To: 
Savvy Southern Style, Boogieboard Cottage,Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just A Housewife, Coastal Charm,To Sew With Love, Under The Table & Dreaming,Cherished Treasures,The Graphics Fairy,Polly Want A Crafter,Funky Junk Interiors,Addicted 2 Decorating,Domestically Speaking,Tales of a Trophy Wife,DIY Showoff, Skip To My Lou,Mommy By Day... Crafter By Night,Miss Mustard Seed,All Things Heart and Home,The Shabby Nest,Someday Crafts,Sew Much Ado,Lil' Luna,Sugar and Dots,House of Hepworths,Yesterday on Tuesday,Thrifty Decorating,Remodelaholic,Fingerprints on the Fridge,Lovely Crafty Home,Ladybird LN Craft Envy,Dittle Dattle,Craft-O-Maniac,Keeping It Simple,Mad In Crafts,Making The World Cuter,Sisters of the Wild West,Sarahndipities,Today's Creative Blog,Tip Junkie,Sassy Sites,The Thrifty Home,seven thirty three,Sisters Stuff,Fabric Bows and More,Sew Woodsy,Tea Rose Home,Ginger Snap Crafts,The Shabby Creek Cottage,What Allie's Making Now,Thrifty 101,Momnivore's Dilemma,It's Sew Stinkin Cute,Beyond The Picket Fence,Finding Fabulous,Trendy Treehouse,A Little Knick Knack,Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,Simply Sweet Home, Creation Corner,Truly Lovely with the Laney Sisters,Mommaskindacrafty,Simply Designing,Joyful Stamper,Tatertots and Jello,Along For The Ride,Young and Crafty,While He Was Napping,A Vision To Remember,Stay At Home Nation,LambAround,Nifty Thrifty Things,Petite Hermine,A Bowl Full Of Lemons,The Foley Fam,Type A,Reasons To Skip The Housework,DIY Club Inc,Primitive and Proper,Creations by Kara,Elle Belle CreativeTales from Bloggeritaville,Delightful Order,Gluesticks,Somewhat Simple,Frugalicious Me,All Things Fee,Cherished Bliss,Homework,Me and My Boys,Homemaker on a Dime,Primp,Craft Junkie Too,Home Savvy,Lines Across My Face,Bear Rabbit Bear,The Kurtz Corner,Chef In Training,The Sasse Life,Project Queen,Crafty Scrappy Happy,Raising 4 Princesses,DIY Home Sweet Home,Passionately Artistic,Redoux,Pocket Full Of Pink,Kammy's Korner,I Can't Stop Crafting,Sassafras Salvation,The Artsy Girl Connection,The Shady Porch,Rae Gun Ramblings,Six Sisters Stuff,Sew Crafty Tuesday,Adventures In Dinner,Knick Of Time,Five Days 5 Ways,Some Good Stuff,Seven Alive,Ivy and Elephants,Creating Home,Alderberry Hill,


36 comments:

  1. I love this! Since I still play Scrabble, and don't want to use my tiles, I plan to try this using dominoes. I've got a zillion of them around. Thanks so much for breaking this down into an easy to follow project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's breaking my heart to see people dismantling my favorite game, LOL!

    I am curious - could you use glass tiles? I know the clear ones are tough to find in stores, but there are loads of the colored ones available for people who do mosaic art. Would it still have to be wood, if you're not planning to use ink on it?

    I love that you added the finding, that's such a cute touch!

    Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I love these, the addition of the jewelry finding that makes it unique from most of the ones I've seen. Great idea! Question, did you have any issues with the diamond glaze making parts of your image on the paper bleed? I just used some to make bottle cap necklaces using images I printed out and mine bled a bit. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, and what a tutorial! Very well done, thanks for sharing!

    www.notimefortea.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crow,...those are gorgeous. I love how you bent or cut the jewelry findings to make it really special. Very artistic. I am so thrilled that you shared your awesomeness at our Link It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful projects and happy belated Anniversary!

    Thank-you so much for taking the time to share at our Pin'Inspiration party this week. I really hope that you can take part in my "Beat the Winter Blues" party on Saturday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely - you make it look so easy to try - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! My fav is the simple "map of France". Makes me want to wear it to Paris, which is hard....since I live in Japan! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! Thanks for sharing!
    heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are other tutuorials, but I like yours best! I want to make one of these - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute!! I LOVE them all but the one that says France is my favorite. Thank you so much for link up with us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really pretty! They turned out great! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really do love these scrabble tile art pieces. I've seen many of them but yours are outstanding. I would love to make a bracelet out of a bunch of them, like all the places I want to go! That would be so funky!
    Best,
    Jenn from www.JustAddWaterSilly.com, hopping from Check me out Saturday!
    (newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really lovely pendant. I have never worked with this technic, but would like to :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your jewelry pieces...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cool. You did a great job on them. These little pendants are really in right now. Happy Monday to you.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great upcycle!!! Love the metal!

    I have a new linky party and would love it if you would link up this project. www.creatingyourhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute craft :)

    Thanks for sharing with us :D
    Visiting from BRAG MONDAY at GraphicsFairy,
    ~Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are beautiful! I have some scrabble tiles and the hardware just sitting here, waiting for some inspiration. I think I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great finds. I love all of them and am sure I would have snagged a couple of them too for 'something, someday'. I tend to have a lot of 'someday' projects!

    I also pinned this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely tutorial, so of course, I had to feature you tonight at Creative Juice.

    I just started getting into polymer clay and cabochon making...so this was right up my alley. Thanks!

    Sharing at pinterest and twitter as well.

    Thanks for linking up at Creative Juice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just wanted to mention that your awesome pendants are being featured on our Link It Up Thursday party tomorrow. come on over and grab a featured button if you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this idea! I love how the map looks vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This has to be one of my favorite scrabble pendants I've seen! I am featuring this scrabble tutorial in this week's Stay At Home Nation Spotlight. Congratulations! Grab a button(I only have one) & post it proudly! I hope you link up again this week!
    XoXo
    Iffy

    ReplyDelete
  25. As all the others said, this is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE them all! You are being featured tonight at Knick of Time Tuesday Vintage Style Party!

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome tutorial. I make pendants from Dominoes so this is just great. Thanks for posting and I'm a new Linky follower. I hope you'll check out my blog. Happy Valentine's day.

    Hugs, LisaKay
    Belles Roses Romantiques

    ReplyDelete
  28. Got a question .. why do you use the back of the tile instead of covering up the letter?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post.
    Thank you so much for giving us such kind of handy content which will be most useful to me as well.... I will follow your blog always. Thanks!!!
    Pendant Jewelry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...