Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Buckle Up!

You can really dress up a simple pair of jeans with a beautiful belt buckle. And, the best way to have a unique belt buckle is to make it yourself! Here is an easy way to create your own...
Here's what you'll need...

Blank Belt Buckle- If your craft store doesn't carry these, you can find them online.
Dictionary- I found this old one at the Goodwill.
Rubber stamp & ink.
Seed beads.
Charms or other embellishments.
Scissors.
Diamond Glaze- Mod Podge would probably work.
E6000 glue.

Start by picking out a word in the dictionary that goes along with the theme of your buckle. Since my embellishment had a compass on it, I chose the word, "direction." Lay your buckle down, positioning the word where you would like it placed and trace around the buckle.
Cut out the section that you traced around. Keep trimming the paper until it fits inside the buckle.
Using a rubber stamp, add a little design around the edges of the paper.


Cover the blank buckle with Diamond Glaze, add the paper, and then coat the top of the paper with Diamond Glaze.

Once dry, add more Diamond Glaze to the areas where you'd like the seed beads. Add the beads and then add a little of the Diamond Glaze on top of the beads for security.
Use E6000 to glue on the embellishment and your finished!

For this belt buckle, I skipped the step of adding a stamped design to the edges of the paper. I simply added the paper, beads, and a cross charm...
I even added some of the beads to the cross!

For this last buckle, I cut out the paper, stamped it with a bird design, and added color to the design with markers. It doesn't get any easier than that!!!

Pin It

Linking To: 
Savvy Southern Style, Boogieboard Cottage,Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just A Housewife, Coastal Charm,To Sew With Love, Under The Table & Dreaming,Cherished Treasures,The Graphics Fairy,Polly Want A Crafter,Funky Junk Interiors,Addicted 2 Decorating,Domestically Speaking,Tales of a Trophy Wife,DIY Showoff, Skip To My Lou,Mommy By Day... Crafter By Night,Miss Mustard Seed,All Things Heart and Home,The Shabby Nest,Someday Crafts,Sew Much Ado,Lil' Luna,Sugar and Dots,House of Hepworths,Yesterday on Tuesday,Thrifty Decorating,Remodelaholic,Fingerprints on the Fridge,Lovely Crafty Home,Ladybird LN Craft Envy,Dittle Dattle,Craft-O-Maniac,Keeping It Simple,Mad In Crafts,Making The World Cuter,Sisters of the Wild West,Sarahndipities,Today's Creative Blog,Tip Junkie,Sassy Sites,The Thrifty Home,seven thirty three,Sisters Stuff,Fabric Bows and More,Sew Woodsy,Tea Rose Home,Ginger Snap Crafts,The Shabby Creek Cottage,What Allie's Making Now,Thrifty 101,Momnivore's Dilemma,It's Sew Stinkin Cute,Beyond The Picket Fence,Finding Fabulous,Trendy Treehouse,A Little Knick Knack,Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,Simply Sweet Home, Creation Corner,Truly Lovely with the Laney Sisters,Mommaskindacrafty,Simply Designing,Joyful Stamper,Tatertots and Jello,Along For The Ride,Young and Crafty,While He Was Napping,A Vision To Remember,Stay At Home Nation,LambAround,Nifty Thrifty Things,Petite Hermine,A Bowl Full Of Lemons,The Foley Fam,Type A,Reasons To Skip The Housework,DIY Club Inc,Primitive and Proper,Creations by Kara,Elle Belle CreativeTales from Bloggeritaville,Delightful Order,Gluesticks,Somewhat Simple,Frugalicious Me,All Things Fee,Cherished Bliss,Homework,Me and My Boys,Homemaker on a Dime,Primp,Craft Junkie Too,Home Savvy,Lines Across My Face,Bear Rabbit Bear,The Kurtz Corner,Chef In Training,The Sasse Life,Project Queen,Crafty Scrappy Happy,Raising 4 Princesses,DIY Home Sweet Home,Passionately Artistic,Redoux,Pocket Full Of Pink,Kammy's Korner,I Can't Stop Crafting,Sassafras Salvation,The Artsy Girl Connection,The Shady Porch,Rae Gun Ramblings,Six Sisters Stuff,Sew Crafty Tuesday,Adventures In Dinner,Knick Of Time,Five Days 5 Ways,Some Good Stuff,Seven Alive,Ivy and Elephants,Creating Home,Alderberry Hill,


17 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these! Thanks so much for sharing this idea. I am your newest follower--loving your creative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! I never would have thought I could make a belt buckle, now I'm gonna give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I can't begin to tell you how much I love this! I can't wait to try something similar and I was unaware of Diamond Glaze Modge Podge! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks adorable! Thanks for the tutorial too! I would love for you to come link up next Tuesday to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Real art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the bird one!! They are all so pretty and creative. Thank you for sharing at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these so much! They're so unique! Thanks for sharing at Sassagras Salvation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!!! These are LOVELY!!!! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays! SOMEBODY has a FEATURE!!! Check it out here: http://www.trulylovelyblog.com/2012/01/fancy-this-features-60.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those buckles are amazing! I think I love the cross one best!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at WIW, we love partying with you! See you Wednesday!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great and you make it look simple. Thanks for linking up with "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope you'll be back next Saturday to share more terrific ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! I've never even thought of making my own buckles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing at Make it yourself mondays. I love these! I never would've thought about making my own buckles before. I wonder what I could dream up for my hubby with this project???

    ReplyDelete
  14. you always have so creative projects, Virginia! thanks for sharing this fab idea with us!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are stunning! I have seen some gorgeous belts in catalogs such as Boston Proper, but have never thought to try to make one. Now you have given me the courage to try, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...