Monday, June 27, 2011

Make Your Own Hummingbird Feeder

There are plenty of flowers in my yard to attract hummingbirds, but I attract even more when I add these great feeders. They are easy to make and very inexpensive.
Here's how you can make your own...

Supplies:
Bottle: I used a blue wine bottle so I could have a patriotic theme for the 4th of July.
Enamel Paint: I used Folk Art. 
Paint Brushes
Copper wire
Hummingbird Stopper: I got mine through a company called AFTOSA
Now, you could skip the whole painting part if you want and just wrap the copper around the bottle and be done with it. It would look fine that way but I like to paint the bottles to make them more colorful.
Your bottle will hang upside down, so keep that in mind when you paint your design.
I painted white even where my red is going to be to act as a primer. It takes a lot of coats to get good coverage! You have to wait an hour between coats, which is very hard for me! The waiting drives me crazy!
In the picture above, I think I'm on my 4th coat. I decided that was enough!
Next, it's time to add the red. And since I primed with the white, I only had to do one coat.

Once again, the waiting part! Read the label on the paint bottle for curing times. Most enamel paints will cure in 10 days or you can bake the bottle in the oven. I prefer the baking method so it will be finished faster. I just place the bottle in a cold oven then turn it to the desired temperature (again, read the label). I let it bake for 30 minutes once it reaches the right temperature. After the 30 minutes, turn the oven off and let it cool completely. I usually do this at night and let it cool in the oven overnight.

Once your bottle is ready, start wrapping it with the copper starting at the neck of the bottle. I used a 3 foot length for this bottle. They will cut it for you at the hardware store.

When you get to the top of the bottle (actually it is the bottom of the bottle but it is the top of the feeder), make a loop with the wire to hang it with.

Now it's time to add the food! Add the stopper and your feeder is ready to hang.
NOTE: Overfill the bottle to prevent leaks. This creates a vacuum so your feeder won't drip.

Hang the feeder and enjoy watching your hummingbirds! They certainly will enjoy your feeder!
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

Here are a couple of other examples...



Cost for this project...
Bottle- free
Paint- I think I paid $1.99 a bottle. I've had them a long time. A little paint goes a long way!
Copper- $1.98 (66 cents per foot)
Stopper- 83cents (plus shipping)
Since I had everything I needed except for the copper, this feeder cost me under $2 to make.

35 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Looks soooo cute ~ and really, each one is so original and different than what you'd find in a store. Thanks for sharing!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! I love that you can make several different kinds too... love your art work!! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun idea!!! this is so cute:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea, and you make it your own by painting it!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute, thanks for the tutorial...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool looking
    Ill have to try this Lord knows I have the wine bottles
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so awesome!!! thanks for the tutorial!!
    aysonandashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That a great reuse of a wine bottle!

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice! Have a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and a good way to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the patriotic one! Great idea! Hope you don't mind, but I may copy! My mother-in-laws entire house is Americana and this would make a great b-day gift! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it great look for the July 4 holiday and after come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun idea! and a great craft to do with the kids!!! I began painting on glass several years ago...and I really love the Liquitex Glossies and Pebeo Vitrea paints the best. They seem to adhere to the glass better than the Folk Art Enamels. And they really LAST...I have some plates I painted 15 years ago...and they still look great! Try them for your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These have been our most successful seller over the last several years and especially when I blogged it, lol! I never paint them, however. Great job.
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie. I can't wait to see what you have for next week.
    Allie.Makes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely fabulous idea! I'd really love to make one of these and thank you for the inspiration! I saw this on Inspire me Fridays and boy you sure have done just that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea!

    I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party that I'd love for you to join in on by adding your link!
    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cool idea! And I love the patriotic theme! It turned out beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I want one! Love it!I am a new follower!I would love it if you stopped by blog, take a look around and if you like what you see, follow me back! Thanks!
    Have a great holiday!
    Kirsten

    www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such clever feeders....love the way you used different kinds of bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for linking up to "Tell me Tuesdays!"
    xoxo
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are really pretty!!

    Following you back! Thanks for stopping by! http://www.peacelovepoop.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. How creative! Thank you for linking to Sew Woodsy last week! We hope you will join us again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for linking up to my Red, White and Blue Linky Party!

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are so cute and fun. You did a super job decorating them. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us!
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are really cute!
    Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I can't wait to see more from you on Sunday!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so fun!
    I will be featuring you on this weeks Amaze Me Monday! Thank you for linking up :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Where do you buy the stopper

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea. And I like having several of them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...