Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Red, Rust, & Blue

The Dixie Belle Paint Company recently introduced a
Patina Collection of paints & sprays. And, I have to say, "I'm in love!"
A few weeks ago, I shared a piece of furniture that I made over using the Bronze Patina Paint with the Blue Spray...
You can see that post HERE. If you haven't seen the before, you won't believe the transformation!

My favorite, however, is the Iron Paint with the Green Spray, because it creates rust. And, I love anything rusty!
I decided to add a little rust to an MDF cutout that I had of the USA. When you use the patina, you first need to paint your piece with Dixie Belle Paint. I wanted some red & blue to show along with the rust, so I used Barn Red & Bunker Hill Blue.


The patina paint has metal in it that can settle, so you need to give it a good shake before painting it on. I painted the iron paint on randomly, then sprayed the cutout with the green spray, which activates with the metal in the paint to create rust.

Now for the hard part... stepping away and letting it work it's magic! The process can take up to 6 hours to completion. If you like how it looks before the 6 hour mark and want to stop the process, you can do so by adding a sealer.
I left mine alone and checked on it the next day. I love the result!


The Patina Collection also includes a Copper Patina, along with the Bronze that I shared at the beginning of this post. 


Linking To:
Coastal Charm,  Someday CraftsGinger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings The Shabby Creek Cottage,  Made In A DayChic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby Nest Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished BlissMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework,  I Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty Home,Cedar Hill RanchFlutter BusterNap Time Creations, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamOur Home Away From Home,  RemodelaholicFlamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver PenniesA Stroll Thru Life, French Country CottageThe Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou GirlsDIY-Crush, Our Hopeful Home, The Painted Hinge, Savvy Southern Style, Tattertots & Jello, Yesterday On Tuesday, Rachel Teodoro


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you ... I love old rusty things. So, Ican't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun tutorial ... great vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool product! I am always looking for ways to hurry up the rusting process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this is awesome! It looks like metal, not wood! I'd not heard of the patina paint and spray, I'll have to try them. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...