Tuesday, March 25, 2014

John's Checkerboard

I have posted quite a few projects that my son, John, has helped me with. He's very creative! He will be graduating from college in May with a degree in architecture.
Over the Christmas break, he asked his dad to teach him how to play chess. I'm sure we have a chess set somewhere in the attic but after a little searching with no luck, John went to the store and bought a cheap set for around $5.
He easily learned how to play and wanted a nice set he could take back to school with him. He bought a set of Lord Of The Rings chess pieces but they didn't come with a board. 
This is the part he gets from me...
he made one!
And it's beautiful!
 He used a piece of wood we had leftover from another project and cut it to the size he wanted. He drew off the squares, leaving a section at each end to place the pieces.
 John used stain for the brown sections & he painted in the green sections with acrylic paint. Using a ruler and a silver Sharpie, he defined each section. Then he added several coats of a gloss sealer.
 It turned out gorgeous!


Where ever life takes John after graduation,
I hope he gets to remain creative!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your son is very talented. I've never played chess before but I'm a big fan of The Lord of the Rings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely gorgeous! Very talented young man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can truly appreciate the time that went into that making it that perfect. Who knew there were LOTR chess pieces??? They're a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! Good luck to John and I think he comes by his creativeness honestly girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen quite a few cork key chains on the web and decided I would make some. After all, I have NO shortage of corks. Most of th...Web Design Company In Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...